YBA HUSTLE Baseball Coach (Part-Time) - Washington Nationals (Washington · DC)
The HUSTLE Baseball Coach is responsible for the supervision of the Youth Baseball Academy’s HUSTLE players, baseball-specific skill instruction of their designated HUSTLE team, providing a safe environment, and serving as a positive role model. The HUSTLE Baseball Coach works directly with the Academy’s HUSTLE coaching staff, players and parents, and receives support from the Academy’s Sr. Associate and Director, Sports Programming. The HUSTLE Baseball Coach directs the activities of his/her team through their designated season(s) of practices and games.
The HUSTLE Baseball Coach is ultimately responsible for everything that concerns his/her team. The actions, effort, and appearance of players should meet the collective expectations of the HUSTLE Baseball Coach, Sr. Associate, and Director, Sports Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the quality of the player’s work habits
- Keep notes of thoughts, ideas, and positives or negatives that need to be addressed with individuals or entire team.
- Create detailed practice plans that emphasize HUSTLE, energy, and maximize on-field reps.
- Be knowledgeable of The Academy Way and the Academy’s Core Values.
- Be able to instruct players at each respective position on the field. Report ANY injuries of players
- Manage communication to parents and receive confirmation of attendance for games and practices by HUSTLE parents/players
- Conduct a one-on-one meeting with each player at the mid-point of the HUSTLE season and at the season’s completion to address progress of the player and their goals.
- Be responsible for the appearance of his/her players (during team time, uniforms, clothing etc.)
- Present a unified front in view of the players. Cultivate and maintain the credibility of his/her fellow Coaches.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma and pursuing a college degree with 2+ years of baseball/softball coaching experience.
- 1+ years of relevant youth development experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Demonstrated youth development experience preferred
- Ability to lead a group of children by giving instruction in field settings
- Demonstrated ability to be prepared and organized for every HUSTLE activity day
- Deep knowledge and experience of baseball rules
- Demonstrated experience and emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community
- Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Embody the qualities of a strong role model for the Academy’s scholar-athletes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Field: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a HUSTLE Baseball Coach encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The HUSTLE Baseball Coach will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. Job requires the HUSTLE Baseball Coach to function in a high activity sports venue. While performing the duties of this job, the HUSTLE Baseball Coach is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, run, jump, and climb up/down stairs.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.