Senior Analyst, Baseball Research & Development - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Marketing: Database Marketing/Analytics
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Washington Nationals are seeking a senior analyst to join their Baseball Research & Development team. The role focuses on using the tools of data science to derive insights from baseball datasets to support player evaluation, player development, roster construction, and in-game strategy. The senior analyst will work collaboratively with members of Baseball R&D and baseball operations. Candidates should be passionate about both baseball and statistical analysis.
The Washington Nationals are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build statistical models to evaluate specific aspects of player value and answer other baseball research questions
- Perform analyses at the request of our General Manager, assistant General Managers, player development staff, coaching staff, and advance scouts
- Communicate findings through written reports, presentations, and informal conversations
- Develop new project ideas and assess their potential impacts, feasibility, and importance
- Maintain projects to run daily throughout the baseball season
- Design and build informative data visualizations for use in automated reports or internal web applications
- Mentor analysts and interns and provide feedback on their work
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Graduate degree or two years’ work experience in statistics, computer science, machine learning, mathematics or a related field
- Experience analyzing datasets and training statistical models using R, Python, or equivalent
- Willingness to relocate to Washington, DC
- Authorized to work in the United States
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Ability to complete long term statistical modeling projects and incorporate technical feedback
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills related to programming, statistical modeling, and data visualization
- Passion for baseball and desire to work in baseball operations
- Working knowledge of sabermetric concepts
- Occasional weekend and/or evening work may be required during the baseball season
- Front office staff are expected to attend at least half of the Nationals home games. Meals are provided to staff during the games.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.