Director, Community Relations with Washington Nationals in WASHINGTON · DC
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Communications/Community Relations: Community Relations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Washington Nationals are committed to enhancing the quality of life for citizens in the Washington, D.C. region. Our primary focus is on initiatives that honor military families, encourage youth participation in baseball and softball, and support K-12 education. The Director, Community Relations reports to the Senior Vice President, Community Engagement (SVP) and contributes to the organization’s community relations mission by focusing on programs related to K-12 education and liaison with local and federal government entities. The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for creating, developing and managing all efforts related to the organization’s community relations mission, with a particular focus on the team’s education initiatives, including:
- STEM education
- K-12 Education
- Summer Reading
- Actively support the SVP in managing relations with community partners and organizations, including development of materials and activities to sustain deeper relationships with participants in education programs mentioned above;
- Work with SVP to increase outreach to federal and local government and civic groups and develop plans for long-term partnerships;
- Assist SVP in monitoring legislation, policies, and regulations at federal and local levels that affect team operations;
- Collaborate with Corporate Partnerships to implement cause-related marketing efforts for corporate partners;
- Develop printed, electronic, and virtual content to maintain contact and relationships with key audiences and program participants;
- Serve as department lead for activation at team’s annual off-season festival
- Develop performance measures and other measures to evaluate effectiveness of community based initiatives;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the SVP.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of five years’ experience in cause marketing, advocacy, community programs and/or corporate philanthropy;
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with federal or local governments in support of private sector initiatives;
- Minimum of a four-year Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Social Work or other closely related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Previous experience working in educational settings and with education based community organizations with a focus on coalition building;
- Broad knowledge of community programs, organizations and methods involved in developing community relations programs.
- Knowledge of how federal and local governments work with private sector service providers;
- Proven ability to manage effective, measurable outreach programs.
- High character; ability to exercise discretion with confidential matters;
- Strong presentation skills (written and verbal);
- Strong and skills;
- Confidence in making sound business decisions and outlining next steps;
- Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products.
- Working knowledge of sports business and Major League Baseball.
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Gameday Seasonal: Job requires employee to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue. May work at heights. Employee will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
How did you hear about this job?