About the Columbia Fireflies: The Columbia Fireflies are a part of Hardball Capital which also owns the Chattanooga Lookouts (AA Minnesota Twins Affiliate) and the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (A San Diego Padres Affiliate.) The Fireflies began play in the spring of 2016 at Spirit Communications Park, in Columbia, South Carolina. The Fireflies are the class A, New York Mets affiliate of the South Atlantic League whose season begins in April and concludes in September.
Program Description: The Fireflies internship position(s) will be open to college students and recent college graduates. Interns will be required to work all 70 home games and regular non-game day office hours. Members of the Internship Program will be exposed to all facets of a Minor League Baseball organization and will gain practical, in-depth experience from one of the positions listed below. Prospective candidates will be asked to note their preferred choice of position when applying. Hardball Capital believes in hiring from within; ten of our current fulltime staff members began as interns with one of our clubs. All internships will be provided with a monthly stipend of $1,000.
Food and Beverage: Premium Hospitality/ Luxury Suites Intern
Reports to Senior VP of Food and Beverage and catering team.
Premium Hospitality/ Luxury Suites Intern
- Exhibit professional and courteous behavior always
- Present a neat and tidy appearance while adhering to uniform standards
- Communicate effectively with guests, all levels of management and co-workers
- Maintain the proper care of equipment and food & beverage items
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Assist in managing 16 Luxury Suites, Club Level seats and The Broad River Balcony for all 70 Fireflies home games
- Help coordinate catering requests; answer questions and help assist clients in our hospitality areas while they entertain their clients and employees
- Will put pre-orders together from orders received online and over the phone. Important that details of each Suite are accurate and contacted when order is received
- Assist Suite Level Manager in creating Invoices for Suite catering orders
- Responsible for helping to oversee that each Suite is set up and clean before gates open each night
- Will take care of drink requests for Suites and Balcony and will stock fridges. (Need to be able to lift up to 25 pounds)
- Will work directly with the Suite Level Manager on coordinating clients’ food requests during season
- Maintain strong client relationships and ensure that event specifications are communicated and executed for a successful experience for the suite holders and attendees
- Customer relationship management; build and maintain working relationships with internal and external partners, and leverage these relationships to deliver innovative and memorable events.
- Help supervise Suite Attendants and serve as a liaison between catering kitchen staff and Suite Attendants
- Be able to act as a server for the suites and club seats if needed
- Be knowledgeable in functionality Point of Sale System
- Monitor incoming orders for the Suites, Bar, and Club Level Servers
- Assist with set-up and execution of hospitality for non-game day events at Spirit Communications Park
- Attend player and mascot appearances as both staff and mascot when needed
- Ensures all workstations, storerooms, bar, host stand, decks and dining areas remain clean, sanitized, safe and sufficiently stocked
- Cashes out associates following cash handling procedures; investigates “over and shorts” with servers and bartenders
- Verifies all paperwork is complete and turned in at conclusion of shift/event
- Assist with daily office operation
- Other Duties:
- - Assist in mascot appearances throughout the Midlands
- - Required to participate in stadium pre-season preparation/cleanup which may include weekends.
- - Assist in stadium pre-game preparation (i.e. plaza set-up, box office ticket printing and preparation, souvenir store inventory and preparation, concessions preparation, etc)
- - Assist in putting the tarp on the field and taking it off (this will happen during the day, at night or early morning depending on the situation).
- Please Note: It is not required but encouraged for interested individuals to live within commuting distance or have housing in the Columbia area beginning in January. Please be sure when applying to attach cover letter, resume, two references, and answers to the questions below to be considered for an interview.
- *All staff members and interns are to lead by example and set a high standard for game day employees (i.e. wearing proper work attire, great customer service, no foul language, etc.) *
*Housing is not provided*
o Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
o Positive Attitude
o Ability to work in team setting or individually (both will occur)
o Good Organizational Skills
o Good Time Management Skills