As a participant in Ripken Baseball’s Junior Rotational Program, you will experience multiple facets of the development and operation of a sports organization. Unlike any other internship, you will have an opportunity to contribute to our mission of teaching the values of baseball and how to play it the right way, the Ripken Way.
During the program, participants will complete rotations with several arms of the Ripken Baseball business, possibly to include Chevy Tour, Overnight Camp, Weekend and Week-long Tournaments, Strategic Partnerships, Marketing and Finance. Length and selection of individual rotations are subject to change, with the entire program lasting ten months from February 1st to November 30th. Participants will leave the program with robust experience applicable to a career in sports management on any level.
Sample rotations include:
- Work a 16 to 18 week nationwide youth baseball tour (i.e. partner activation), instructing kids ages 6-13 the fundamentals of baseball, the Ripken Way
- Absorb training quickly and demonstrate the initiative, desire, and drive to help uphold the values established by the Ripken name and brand
- Gain a thorough understanding of the operations processes that take place to facilitate clinics
- Create a fun, dynamic atmosphere for kids, developing camaraderie and acting as a positive role model
- Divide the sport-specific areas (hitting, pitching, and fielding), grouping tasks, and coordinating resources
- Aid in setting up and breaking down baseball equipment at the start or end of each day as needed
- Coordinate with Ripken Staff daily to ensure budget objectives are being met
- Serve as an overnight camp counselor during three weeks of overnight camp programming in Aberdeen, MD
- Generate ideas and establish objectives under the direction of Baseball Operations and the Overnight Program Director
- Assist in assessing inventory resources, reviewing past camps, establishing standards, and developing blueprints for the camp
- Anticipate, work through, and solve problems with campers with patience and understanding, as well as with situations that occur throughout the duration of camp
- Exhibit authority and responsibility over campers, while coordinating resources with other Counselor Interns and supervisors
- Convey and maintain a high level of professionalism at all times while providing extraordinary external and internal customer service
- Assist in fulfilling national and local corporate sponsorship and strategic partnership agreements
- Maintain inventory, pricing and fulfillment records for national partnerships and Ripken Experience location-specific partnerships
- Plan and execute on-site partner activations during tournaments, camps and other programming
- Research key categories and companies to identify prospective partners
- Collaborate on proof of performance and ROI-related documents, under the direction of the Director
- Develop an understanding of what drives partners to engage with a premier youth baseball operator
The right candidate for the Ripken Baseball Junior Rotational Program will be interested in future leadership positions in amateur or professional sports, and will possess certain skills and traits necessary for a multi-faceted role.
- Prior work experience in customer-facing role
- Prior baseball or softball experience with strong understanding of fundamentals
- An outgoing, friendly personality, excellent communication skills, strong initiative, and high level of energy
- Ability to problem solve and process details
- Prior experience in working with kids, exhibiting the ability to be patient and understanding
- Good time management skills
- Ability and willingness to physically perform all job responsibilities
- Ability and willingness to be on the road traveling across the US non-stop from early March – end of June. Ripken Baseball will provide transportation and hotels during the tour portion of the program.
- Ability and willingness to work in Aberdeen, Maryland during other elements of the program.
- Sports management, business, education or marketing degree
- Childcare, safety, and/or CPR training
What’s in it for YOU:
- Learn 'The Ripken Way' how to operate one of the best baseball camps/clinics in the nation, from those who have created and implemented the standards and practices
- Work for one of the most respected names in the game of baseball
- Gain knowledge of and training in management, coaching, marketing, finance and working independently
- Earn pay and graduate degree credit, subject to school’s approval
- Develop your network of industry professionals