As a successful Manager, the main responsibility is to exercise responsibility for the preparation, maintenance, and the general appearance of the playing surface. The primary function of this position is directing and supervising the use of this area while maintaining optimum playing conditions. We have multiple positions open in the State of Texas.
Essential Job Functions:
- Hire and manage all grounds staff.
- Work closely with sales to ensure all field related events are properly managed and to meet customer needs.
- Create and manage parameters and systems that work closely with the Operations Director to help manage with off-season facility projects, and special event needs as they arise.
- Create and manage and inspect all Departmental and OSHA safety guidelines and regulations.
- Oversee and train the use of hazardous chemicals among staff.
- Work with senior management to negotiate contracts and work with vendors companies as necessary for field needs and equipment.
- Manage inventory of grounds materials. Create and manage tracking systems for material usage.
- Prepare budgets and operate under budgetary guidelines; forecast for the future.
- Direct the effective, detailed and proactive maintenance of the playing surfaces, surrounding turf areas, and the common grounds, including but not limited to, litter control, mowing and trimming, seeding, painting/striping field, fertilization and weed management, infield tarp placement and removal, skinned-area preparation, including pitchers mounds, bullpens, home plates and infield areas, edging foul lines, base lines and other transition points, pre-game setup and post-game closure of field for home games and other events, and set up and take down of baseball equipment for team practice and drills.
- Create training and train all game-day employees and seasonal hires in grounds duties.
- Make regular field inspections to ensure the quality and safety of the playing field and surrounding turf.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with managers, coaches, umpires, etc.
- Manage all employment decisions for all grounds personnel.
- Ensure the safe and proper operation of all equipment utilized, maintaining that equipment in safe, clean, operable condition.
- Handle daily operational ground duties as needed on game days which would include mowing the field grass, repairing playing surface, maintaining field irrigation and fertilization.
- Manage the set-up, maintenance and close down of field including tarp pull.
- Responsible for baseball field maintenance including mound and home plate repair, skin work, bullpen repair, warning track work, and batting practice setup/teardown.
- Manage all turf maintenance including mowing, edging, fertilizer application, irrigation, verticutting, aerating, sodding, and overseeding.
- Manage landscape maintenance of turf, shrubs, gravel, and irrigation, outside of stadium locations.
- Minimum of 4-5 years sports field turf maintenance and grounds experience.
- Chemical License required.
- Prior experience hiring, training, and managing skilled and unskilled staff.
- Must be proficient in Excel.
- Prior budget preparation experience required.
- Third party vendor management required.
- Must have experience working with dirt and grass (and enjoy both equally).
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work with all levels of front office staff.
- Turf Management degree a plus; experience in lieu of degree will be accepted.
Physical Demands & Working Environment:
Required to work long hours standing and walking around during season and events.
Sitting, standing, walking, reaching with arms and hands, climbing, balancing, stooping, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, kneeling, or crouching are all part of this position.
Must be able to handle weather related elements such as rain and heat.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.