Job Title: Service Desk Specialist
Department: Information Technology
Working with the Orioles Information Technology Team:
You should have proven problem-solving skills and the ability to work both independently and with a team to meet aggressive timelines. Successful applicants can work in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment. We are looking for applicants who take pride in the quality of their work and who share our commitment to honesty, integrity, and personal accountability. You must have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of technical personnel, executives, managers, and subject matter experts. A sense of urgency for task completion and for the end user experience are essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the Service Desk ticketing queue
- Provide frontline support for both hardware and Business application support (Microsoft Office, software issues via telephone or remote Outlook etc…) assistance in a timely manner.
- Monitor Service Desk for tickets assigned to the queue and process first-in first-out based on priority
- Modify configurations, utilities, software default settings, etc. for the local computer device
- Root cause analysis for end user problems
- Create Technical Documentation
- Escalating technical support issues internally and externally to technology partners
- Evaluate documented resolutions and help contribute to the resolutions library. Develop help sheets and FAQ lists for end users.
- Assuming the Technical Escalation Service Desk on-call duties as scheduled/required
- Analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems and alert management to emerging trends in incidents.
- Provide a consistent level of professional and considerate support to our users to develop and maintain relationships of trust and open communication.
- Submit regular time sheet entries
- Business application support (Microsoft Office, Outlook etc…)
- Troubleshooting Citrix and LAN/WAN connectivity issues.
- Mobile device support (iOS, Android, Microsoft)
- Service ticket administration and time entries
- Hardware configuration – setting up computers, thin clients, iPads
The Orioles IT Department has an interactive, fast-paced work environment. Responsibilities will require an adjusted work schedule with evening and weekend hours to provide technical support during games and other events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: This position requires a minimum of an Associate’s Degree (with a Bachelor’s degree preferred); at least 2 years’ recent Service Desk experience to the small or mid-sized business market; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Must be able to effectively communicate in specific terms about technologies deployed in our environment, including Windows Server, Microsoft Office 365, HP Servers, Router/Switches, Firewall Appliances, VoIP and IP environment, and CAT5e/CAT6 Infrastructures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Service Desk Technician must have a strong aptitude in OS repairs, Spyware and Virus removal, Hardware, Software, upgrades and troubleshooting. Must also have the ability to read computer documentation, utilize Google Search and comprehend directions therein in order to remedy minor computer equipment malfunctions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with and present information to others and access information using a computer for several hours at a time. Employees must have mobility throughout the Oriole offices and ballpark.
Emotional Demands: The employee must be emotionally mature and be able to handle difficult and complex end user and work-related situations. Candidates must possess strong problem solving, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills. They must be self-driven and possess a positive mental attitude.
End User Relationship Management: The Service Desk Specialist establishes and builds relationships with members of the Oriole end user community. Applies knowledge to the business and provides personalized, value-added service. Demonstrates willingness to meet or exceed needs of users by pursuing improved courses of action; delivers service that best serve individual user needs; considers user feedback as a basis for improving service and performs necessary follow-up work without being prompted.
Collaboration/Teamwork: Service Desk Specialist creates commitment to common goals; identifies competing interests and finds ways to balance them; values contributions of all team members and other constituencies; values team accomplishments over individual accomplishments; leverages others’ strengths and experiences to achieve team goals; co-operates with colleagues and shares resources.
Intellectual Demands: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, as well as effective organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills. Candidates must be able to read, analyze, and interpret general industry periodicals, technical procedures and governmental regulations. They must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. They must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from vendors, employees, and the general public.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities to perform this job successfully; the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment is on an “at-will” basis.
Employee must be able to relate to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions: (a) can get along with other co-workers or peers without exhibiting behavioral extremes; (b) perform work activities requiring negotiating, instructing, supervising, persuading or speaking to others; and (c) respond appropriately to constructive criticism from a supervisor.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Baltimore Orioles are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.