Pro Scouting Analyst Fellowship - The Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
This individual will support the efforts of the Professional Scouting department by conducting extensive evaluations of professional players in the United States and abroad. The analyst will utilize multiple information sources, relying heavily on video analysis while also working closely with the Baseball Analytics department. This is a seasonal position that is based out of Baltimore, MD. Preference will be given to candidates who can begin in the off-season, though summer-only candidates will be considered as well.
- Compose scouting reports on professional players utilizing video, technology, and in-person looks to enhance the club’s decision-making process.
- Monitor roster dynamics of other organizations and leagues, maintaining prospect lists, depth charts, and positional rankings.
- Distribute target lists (FA, trade, Rule 5, international professional players, etc.) to scouts, coaches, and front office staff and coordinate responses for recommendations.
- Monitor scouting reports for consistency, accuracy, and compliance.
- Coordinate scout schedules and track coverage of target players.
- Troubleshoot technical and equipment issues, provide solutions to video scouting assignments, coordinate data-sharing agreements, and perform other administrative duties as assigned.
- Assist with data analysis, maintenance, and collection.
- Prepare tools, visualizations, and reports to aid in disseminating information throughout Baseball Operations.
- Exceptional knowledge of baseball and of sabermetric research and principles.
- Demonstrated experience with player evaluation.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with staff members of all levels.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, SQL, R, and Python preferred.
- Degree or equivalent experience in a STEM field preferred.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays and to travel as needed.
Where do you currently live?
If you are not located in Baltimore, are you willing to relocate there? Please write "n/a" if you already live in the Baltimore area.
Are you vaccinated against COVID-19?
Please list any data- or tech-related programs, systems, or languages in which you are fluent, as well as any foreign languages you know. For each one, what is your comfort level on a scale of 1-10? No further explanation is necessary. 1 = very basic familiarity. 10 = completely fluent. Example: Excel (7), Spanish (6), Blast Motion (3), SQL (3)
Please list 4-5 of your favorite baseball-related books / websites / podcasts. For each item in the list, include a note or two explaining why you find this source interesting or informative.
If we asked you to evaluate a position player strictly based off of four stats / performance metrics, which four would you choose? Please don’t give an explanation; just list them in order of your preference. (There’s no perfect answer; we just want to see how you think.)
In your opinion, what area represents the next potential source of competitive advantage for MLB front offices? (100 words or less)
Suggest one upcoming free agent that you would recommend that the Orioles sign this off-season. Why would you target this player, and how much do you imagine it would cost to sign him? (100 words or less.)