Payroll Assistant Manager - The Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
Reports To: Payroll Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Payroll Assistant Manager will work with payroll staff to manage the entire payroll function for a 1200+ person company with a mix of exempt, non-exempt, seasonal, and contracted staff. Responsible for multi-state payroll with complex taxation requirements. Responsible for overall payroll compliance.
- Manage entire payroll function with a variety of employee classifications (salaried, hourly, full-time, part-time, players in both Major and Minor league)
- Process player payroll for Major League and Minor League
- Ensure payroll correctly reflects processing of new hires, changes in base pay, variable pay, commissions, bonuses, transfers, promotions, terminations and changes in exemption and deductions.
- Ensure time and attendance is accurately entered, submitted and approved by managers in a timely manner meeting payroll deadlines.
- Partner with other departments to facilitate the accurate and timely processing of hourly employees including verifying the accuracy of overtime hours, paid time off and leaves of absence.
- Enter tax and direct deposit information; garnishments; support orders and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Review in detail the payroll preview to identify any errors before issuing payments.
- Create and distribute GL reports.
- Coach, train managers on time and attendance administration as necessary
- Reconcile all payroll accounts timely and accurately.
- Respond to employee questions concerning their pay details and W-2’s, research and resolve discrepancies.
- Manage state tax compliance and regulatory filings.
- Setup new states and local jurisdictions as needed.
- Review quarterly tax credit reports and submit.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending courses, seminars, workshops to remain up to date on the latest federal, state, and local employment tax laws.
- Review and audit W-2’s and 1095C files for accuracy
- Assist with the annual audit.
- Produce scheduled and ad hoc reports pertaining to Payroll and Human Resources
- Enter new benefits enrollments/life events and ensure accuracy of deductions.
- Process HSA enrollments with third party vendor
- Oversee 401k changes and reports in ADP.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Five (5) plus years of payroll experience preferred.
- Multi-State payroll experience a must.
- Sports team experience preferred.
- Ability to:
- Troubleshoot issues.
- Build credibility and establish trust among coworkers and management.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality and professionalism and service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategize and forecast future results using data and analytics.
- Build strong and collaborative relationships with staff and communicate effectively with multiple audiences (strong customer service skills)
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Prioritize and manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Work in a fast-paced changing environment and as part of ONE TEAM
- Work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings if needed.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - (Outlook, Word and Power Point) required
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Human Resources, or related field preferred, HR/Payroll Certifications preferred
Do you live in Baltimore? (Y/N)
How many years have you managed payroll?
Do you have baseball payroll experience? (Y/N)
Describe your experience in managing different types of payrolls that accommodate part-time, full-time, contracted, etc.
Describe your knowledge of multi-state taxation.
Describe your payroll management process as it pertains to ensuring time, attendance, pay schedules, reports and how other duties and timelines are met.
How many years of exp. do you have working with ADP?