Broadcast Technical Production Internship - Bismarck, ND
The Bismarck Larks are offering internship opportunities for current college students with an interest in sports and event media to gain experience and knowledge in video/broadcast production. Bismarck Larks internships provide students with immersive, hands-on-learning to help position them for a career in the sports, entertainment and event industry upon graduation.
Who We Are
The Bismarck Larks joined the Northwoods League (NWL) in 2017. The NWL is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 25 teams, drawing more fans than any league of its kind. The NWL provides top college players from North America and beyond a summer collegiate baseball experience. More than 300 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball in the NWL’s 30-year history.
The Bismarck Larks became the first team in NWL history to win NWL Organization of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2017 & 2018). The Larks sold out 27 of 36 home games in 2017 (75%) and continued their success in 2018 selling out 30 of 36 home games with an average overall attendance of more than 68,000 fans.
In 2020, the Larks became the first sports team in the country to play safely with fans in the stands during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, the Larks sold out 92% of every ticket and were named one of the top 30 employers in sports by Front Office Sports in the company of the Denver Broncos and Savannah Bananas.
In 2023, the Larks sold out 96.5% of every ticket and averaged 1,833 tickets out of 1,900 tickets available each game, added a brand new videoboard and hosted the NWL Great Plains All Star Game.
The Internship Position
The Bismarck Larks are looking for Broadcast Video Production interns to join their team in Bismarck, North Dakota for the 2023 season. As a Broadcast Video Production intern you will be directly involved in the pre-production, live-production, and post-production of the live broadcast of all Larks games. This internship will lead 8-15 live games featured on ESPN+ and (at least) one live game on NBC/Fox to be viewed statewide.
Broadcast Video Production interns may serve as Larks representative at various promotions, events, Larks games and Funatix events.
Start Date: May 6, 2023
End Date: August 16, 2023 (dependent on post season play)
Academic Qualifications: Applicants should be studying a subject in a relevant field. This may include but is not limited to Sport Management, Broadcasting, Journalism, Marketing and Communications.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Larks Video Production team with broadcasting every Larks game live. The team is made up of 3 Camera Operators, 1 Camera Director, 1 Technical PC Director, and 1 Broadcaster.
- You can watch previous games on demand for free:
- This application is specifically for the Technical PC Director position on the broadcast.
- The Technical PC Director is responsible for running commercials, graphics on the broadcast, checking sound levels, capturing highlights in-game, uploading them to Dropbox, naming highlights and more.
- The Technical PC Director also communicates with the Northwoods League broadcast supervisor occasionally to ensure streaming is working properly.
- Represent the team at various Larks and Funatix Events and participate in other outside, community events and mascot appearances, as defined by the team
- Promote a positive fan experience by interacting with our fans in all areas of the ballpark
General Team Responsibilities
- Game and Team Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Bismarck Larks home games and team events, this includes weekends and holidays.
- Funatix Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Funatix Events including but not limited to the Mandan Rodeo Days, company picnics, festivals, etc. Full event list will be provided. This includes weekends and holidays.
- Game Day and Event Hours: Expected to be available from mid to late morning through the end of the game and/or event. Schedule will be decided by the direct supervisor on a homestand and event basis.
- Non-Game Day/Event Hours: Expected to attend office hours of 9 AM-5 PM each weekday.
- Assist with distribution of team pocket schedules, posters and other marketing materials throughout the stadium and community
- Assist with ballpark set-up and tear-down before-the-season, after-the-season and during each homestand
- Assist with event set-up and tear-down at team events and Funatix Events
- Assist with Family Fun zone set-up and tear-down
- Maintain ballpark cleanliness including but not limited to: cleaning tables, chairs, Family Fun Zone area, etc.
- Every intern will be required to perform as the mascot at least once during the summer
- Assist with the tarp pull during rain delays
- All other duties as assigned by Larks front office staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Availability to work all home games, team events and Funatix Events
- Previous internship or job in live sports production preferred
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, InDesign, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom)
- Experience in a fast paced environment
- The ability to work extended hours upwards of 14 hours and lift 30-50 lbs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be a team player with strong leadership and communication skills
- Must be enthusiastic with a desire to work hard and have a positive “can‐do” attitude
- Ability to multi‐task and handle responsibility
- Self‐ motivated and ability to take initiative
- Enthusiastic team player, shows enjoyment and interest in working collaboratively
- Uphold our core values: Best, Uplift, Nerve, Teamwork. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values.
- Uphold our service vision: Happy People Making People Happy. We want people who love what they do, who find joy in making others laugh or smile, who want to use fun and happiness to make a difference in the lives of coworkers, clients and fans.
Reports To: Marketing Director and Content Creator
Stipend & Housing: This is an unpaid internship. Team does offer a stipend to help cover expenses such as housing, transportation, food etc. Team offers 2 options to accommodate interns who are local and interns will travel to Bismarck for the internship.
Housing-Not Provided. Intern is responsible for providing their own housing.
Housing- Provided. Intern is responsible for deposit and utilities.
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective may be earned.
Work Samples / Portfolio: Please provide a link to work samples, sizzle reels or online portfolio in your resume or cover letter section of the application. Links can be YouTube, personal website, Dropbox, or Google Drive. Work samples could include but are not limited to: videos, graphic design, or writing.