Who We Are
Bareknuckle Baseball oversees two teams in the Northwoods League (NWL); the Bismarck Larks in Bismarck, North Dakota and a new expansion team in Minot, North Dakota, set to begin play in 2023 along with a special event company called Funatix Events.
The NWL is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 22 teams, drawing more fans than any league of its kind. The NWL provides top college players from North America and beyond a summer collegiate baseball experience. More than 300 NWL players have advanced to Major League Baseball in the NWL’s 29-year history.
The Bismarck Larks joined the league in 2017 and became the first team in NWL history to win NWL Organization of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2017 & 2018). The Larks sold out 27 of 36 home games in 2017 (75%) and continued their success in 2018 selling out 30 of 36 home games with an average overall attendance of more than 68,000 fans.
In 2020, the Larks became the first sports team in the country to play safely with fans in the stands during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, the Larks sold out 92% of every ticket and were named one of the top 30 employers in sports by Front Office Sports in the company of the Denver Broncos and Savannah Bananas.
The Minot expansion team will join the NWL in 2023 and Funatix Events oversees numerous events in North Dakota including but not limited to the Mandan Rodeo, Bismarck Marathon, the Bismarck Santa Run, large scale company picnics, and more.
Bareknuckle Baseball is looking for a Controller in Bismarck, North Dakota with accounting/finance experience to oversee all accounting systems and financial functions for Bareknuckle Baseball companies; this includes the Bismarck Larks, Minot Baseball, and Funatix Events.
The Controller will be responsible for gameday income and expense summaries, cash receipts, collections, billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger, budgeting, internal controls, and audits. This position will oversee the operation of the accounting department, measurement, assessment and continuous improvement of the organization’s performance.
We’re looking for a passionate, talented and positive person who strives for excellence, happiness and inspires the same in others. The Controller will report directly to the General Managers of the Bismarck Larks, Minot Baseball and Funatix Events and will work closely with the Bareknuckle Baseball ownership.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee accounts receivable invoicing and receipts including daily activity reports
- Oversee accounts payable, record approved invoices, and ensure that adequate controls are in place over invoices and payments thereof
- Oversee payroll processing including payroll tax and benefit payments and required payroll compliance reporting
- Reconcile bank accounts and adjusti general ledger as needed
- Review accounts receivable aging and management for potential errors and collection follow-up
- Prepare, review and provide customer statements to customers, clients and/or sponsors
- Reconcile monthly statements of major vendors to QuickBooks balances
- Review preliminary financials for unusual items and relationships between activities
- Prepare monthly balance sheet and income statements with comparison to the same period in the previous year
- Prepare income statements that compare actuals vs. budgeted amounts to management
- Assist the CEO in assessing and supporting compensation and bonus plans for employees
- Assist the CEO in assessing the business insurance needs and assessing proposals from providers every year as determined
- Provide input to CEO related to employee insurance and other employee benefit plans
- Provide input and assistance to the CEO, general managers and leadership teams as the organization sets its organizational budget on an annual basis. Such input includes, but is not limited to, developing revenue projections, making suggestions for expense reductions/savings, proper coding of transactions to established GL codes, etc.
- Coordinate with external financial entities on behalf of the company including but not limited to tax accountant/CPA, banks, 401k administrator, etc.
- Assist VP of Operations and CEO in all permits and licenses processes including but not limited to liquor license, food license, raffle permits, etc.
- Oversee cash management and weekly deposits
- Understand and comply with all federal and state employment law, generally accepted accounting principals, etc.
- Represent the team at various networking events and participate in other outside, community events, as defined by the team
- Execute assigned game day responsibilities
- Provide best in-class customer service TLD: Customers consider assistance provided as timely and resolves the customer’s issue.
- Work all home games and ballpark events
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Do you want to be a superstar in the sports business? That’s the first qualification. If you answered yes, then answer two more questions: 1) do you have a strong work ethic, and 2) do you have a desire to learn and excel?
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant field
- Proficient in Quickbooks and Excel
- Knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Excellent math skills and a high aptitude for computing and calculating figures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and think strategically
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to make an impact, is inspired to perform well to help contribute to the success of a project or the team
- Enthusiastic team player, shows enjoyment and interest in working collaboratively
- Ability to work weekends, nights and holidays as determined by events or requirements
- Uphold our core values: Best, Uplift, Nerve, Teamwork. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values.
- Uhold our service vision: Happy People Making People Happy. We want people who love what they do, who find joy in making others laugh or smile, who want to use fun and happiness to make a difference in the lives of coworkers, clients and fans.
Benefits & Compensation
- Annual salary, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Short term disability policy
- Gym membership
- Matching 401k program
- Unlimited PTO Requests*
- Social and Group Outings
- Select Tickets for Family
- Merchandise Credit and Discounts
*Vacation days are awarded at the discretion of the Chief Executive Officer with no maximum number of days allowed per calendar year. All vacation requests are to be received at least two weeks prior to needed time off. Vacation time is discouraged from April 1- September 1 due to in-season responsibilities. In the case of illness please provide notice to the Chief Executive Officer as early as able.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.