Title: Grounds Associate
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Seasonal
Reports To: Head Groundskeeper
Last Revision Date: November 17, 2022
The Grounds Seasonal Associate assists with repairing and maintaining the Werner Park playing surface and its surrounding components as a safe, first-class baseball field. These tasks are conducted by performing daily turf, dirt and water management, game preparation, field flips from soccer to baseball and back, and short and long-term maintenance planning. The seasonal associate will have the opportunity to learn dirt and turf maintenance on a 100,000 square foot, Kentucky Bluegrass, sand-based field.
- Assist with the maintenance and repair of the playing field that includes, but is not limited to: turf (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating, top-dressing, over-seeding, discovery/control of weeds, insects, and diseases) and dirt (infield skin, baselines, home plate, pitcher’s mound, bullpens, warning track) management
- Assist with controlling irrigation system, including proper water management of playing surface and outside landscape, periodic maintenance checks, repairing of leaking lines or valves, and winterization
- Assist with preparation of the playing field for pre-game batting practice by setting up cage, screens, mats, and protective field covers
- Oversee preparation of playing field for game use by grooming field, chalking base path foul lines, painting outfield foul lines, marking coaching boxes, etc.
- Assist with field transformation from baseball to soccer and back
- Assist with managing all turf and landscaped areas in and outside the stadium grounds
- Assist with infield tarp pulls
- Assist with special events setup and snow removal, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Associates Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or progress towards a degree in Turf Management, Agronomy, or related field preferred
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for organizational business
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Operate and maintain all equipment in a safe manner and keep in excellent working condition
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Regular and predictable attendance required
- Ability and willingness to work varied and long hours including nights and weekends
This job is performed in a ballpark and therefore there is possible exposure to extreme weather conditions. This individual will operate heavy machinery and power tools. There is also exposure to chemicals on a regular basis. Applicants should be able to lift 50lbs, and be able to endure working on their feet for extended periods of time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.