The Memphis Redbirds, Triple-A affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals, are seeking 2-3 highly motivated, and hardworking individuals for the 2023 season. This internship is designed to help teach individuals and help them advance their careers in the turf industry. Grounds interns will learn and assist in the management, planning, and implementation of the agronomic program for AutoZone Park. The grounds interns will assist with the daily maintenance of the playing surface, including the upkeep of landscaped areas in the ballpark, to ensure that it is up to professional standards. The grounds interns will play a key role in the execution of all on-field events including Memphis Redbirds baseball games, Memphis 901FC soccer matches, field conversions, and additional events.
- General duties include, but are not limited to mowing, fertilizing, maintaining, and rebuilding pitching mounds and home plate areas, dragging and moisture management of infield skin, field marking, edging, aerating, topdressing, verticutting, replacing sod, and tarping
- Other duties will include maintaining grass seating areas and batter’s eye area
- Learn how to develop/implement maintenance and fertility schedules
- Help train the game day grounds crew members
- Learn and take an active role in the baseball/soccer field conversion process
- Report field issues such as turf stress, disease, irrigation problems, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year program in Turfgrass Management or related field is preferred, but not required
- Be open and willing to learn all facets of turf and clay maintenance
Working conditions and physical requirements:
- Flexibility to work extended hours including nights, weekends, and some holidays
- Must be able to engage in strenuous activity including lifting up to 75 lbs.
- Capable of working in variable weather conditions including extreme heat and rain showers
The information provided in this job description is designed to provide the general nature and level of work performed by team members within the job classification. The job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all work duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of team members assigned to this job. This job description will be updated, modified, and revised by the Company, at its sole discretion, from time to time as it deems necessary to meet the business needs of the Company.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.