Job Title: Seasonal Assistant Groundskeeper Status: Full Time
Reports To: Director of Field Operations FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Field Operations Effective: March-September 2020
Assist the Indianapolis Indians Grounds Department by being responsible for repairing and maintaining the Victory Field playing surface as a safe, first class baseball field. Performing daily turf, dirt and water management; timely fertility and cultural practices; game preparation techniques and also assist in the short and long-term maintenance & budgeting. This position will play a vital role in home plate preparation, planning, and repair and assist with scheduling and supervising our grounds staff. Learn to incorporate weather station and soil moisture sensor technology into daily turf management practices.
- Assist in daily planning, supervising, & execution of the Indians Grounds Department
- Supervise, schedule, mentor and train a seasonal intern and part-time game day staff
- Specific duties shall include, but not be limited to:
- Clay work including infield skin, mounds, homeplates, and warning track
- Turf work including fertilizer and pesticide application, mowing, and edging
- All cultural practices including mowing, irrigation, aerification, topdressing, deep tine, slicing, etc.
- Basic equipment maintenance
- Irrigation scheduling and repair
- Wear management
- Tarp handling and weather situations
- Continuing education opportunities available throughout season
- Assist with all extra events which may include baseball events, softball games, Football, corporate events, and concerts
- Inventory management
- Outside landscaping and irrigation repair
- Participate in additional professional education
- Track, monitor, and record all maintenance practices and applications
- Other duties as assigned
Candidate must be recently graduated from a two or four-year turfgrass or horticultural program at the university level. Individual should have strong communication and people skills, a high attention to detail, and a tremendous desire to learn. Must be highly self-motivated. A baseball field maintenance background is preferred. Also, the ability to obtain an Indiana Category 3B pesticide license will be available.
Skills & Abilities:
- Honesty/confidentiality and strong attention to detail & accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a stressful environment
- Ingenuity to take on or create new projects
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work up to 14 hours per day and up to 80 hours per week (in-season)
Dates: March 2020–October 2020
Hours: 40+ hours per week in addition to all home games
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Extra pay is also available.
About the Indianapolis Indians:
The Indianapolis Indians
are the professional Triple-A baseball club affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In continuous operation since 1902, the organization believes in creating affordable and memorable experiences for fans so they can grow closer together with family, friends and the community through the game of baseball. The Indians play their home games at Victory Field, a 14,200-seat ballpark located in downtown Indianapolis and White River State Park. The venue opened in 1996 and has received numerous national accolades as one of the best minor league ballparks in the United States. The team has led Minor League Baseball in combined total attendance over the past six seasons. In 2018, the organization was recognized as Ballpark Digest Team of the Year. It was also named a 2019 Best Places to Work by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.