Job Title: Field Operations Coordinator Status: Full-Time
Reports To: Director of Field Operations FLSA: Exempt
Department: Field Operations Effective: March 2023
Assist the Field Operations Department repairing and maintaining the Victory Field playing surface and its surrounding components as a safe, first-class baseball field by performing daily turf, soil and water management; timely fertility and cultural practices; game preparation techniques and short and long-term maintenance planning & budgeting. The Field Operations Coordinator will also assist with off-season planning, equipment maintenance, and Facility projects.
- Supervise and train seasonal interns and part-time game day staff.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of the playing field that includes, but is not limited to turf (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating, top-dressing, over-seeding, discovery/control of weeds, insects, and diseases) and Soil (infield skin, baselines, home plate, pitchers’ mound, bullpens, warning track) management.
- Assist in controlling the entire Victory Field irrigation system that includes, but is not limited to, proper water management of the playing surface, periodic maintenance checks, repairing of leaking lines or valves, and winterization.
- Operate and maintain all equipment in a safe manner and keep in excellent working condition.
- Assist in the preparation of the playing field for pre-game batting practice by setting up cage, screens, mats, and protective field covers.
- Assist in the preparation of the playing field for game use by grooming field, chalking base path foul lines, painting outfield foul lines, marking coaching boxes.
- Assist in coordination and execution of infield tarp pulls.
- Track grounds department inventory
- Maintain a positive relationship with umpires & coaches in weather related matters.
- Develop a relationship with home and visiting managers to coordinate pre-game batting practice.
- Participate in additional professional education
- Assist in the maintenance of all turf care equipment
- Assist with on-field event management
- Other duties as assigned
- Two-year or four-year degree or equivalent preferably in Turfgrass Management or equivalent experience in sports turf management, preferably baseball maintenance on a sand-based Kentucky bluegrass field.
- Night and weekend work is required.
- Indians Inc. will provide the ability to obtain an Indiana Category 3B pesticide license and Turfgrass certificates.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask in a stressful and ever-changing environment
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability and willingness to learn new techniques, skills, and practices
- Ability to work outdoor in all weather conditions
Salary commensurate with experience and bonus structure
Benefits include paid vacation, 401(k) plan (when eligible) and health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
About the Indianapolis Indians:
The Indianapolis Indians
are the professional Triple-A baseball club affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In continuous operation since 1902, the organization believes in creating affordable and memorable experiences for fans so they can grow closer together with family, friends and the community through the game of baseball. The Indians play their home games at Victory Field, a 13,750-seat ballpark located in downtown Indianapolis and White River State Park. The venue opened in 1996 and has received numerous national accolades as one of the best minor league ballparks in the United States. The team has led Minor League Baseball in combined total attendance over the past six seasons. In 2018, the organization was recognized as Ballpark Digest Team of the Year. It was also named a 2019 Best Places to Work by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.