Web Design Apprentice - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Research & Development
Supervisor: Manager, Software Development
Classification: Full-Time/Non-Exempt (Temp)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros Baseball Club is accepting applications for a talented web design apprentice to join our Research & Development team within Baseball Operations. The designer will join a growing development team responsible for building and maintaining software applications used by Astros players, coaches, and personnel to make better in-game decisions, acquire, and develop the best talent, and win championships.
Interested candidates should apply via UKG and send their resume to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Web Design Apprentice.’
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design interactive and responsive user interfaces that facilitate end users’ interaction with baseball datasets, proprietary models and metrics, and video
- Implement UI/UX designs for new user-facing features
- Be responsible for screen layouts, color palettes, and other aesthetic attributes of our web apps
- Construct dynamic visualizations from a wide variety of baseball datasets, including major and minor league pitch, hit and player tracking datasets, and amateur and international baseball data
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience & Skills:
- Interest in baseball
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with HTML5 and CSS
- Proficiency with techniques for visualizing numerical data for analysis
- Experience with UI/UX design
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Training in graphics design of software and user experience principles
- Experience with design tools for wireframing and prototyping
- Experience with mobile-friendly or responsive web design
- Familiarity with web technology concerns such as asynchronous request handling and partial page updates, and how these may affect your design choices
This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Rare travel may be expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.