Minor League Pitching Apprentice - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Player Development
Supervisor: Manager, Player Development; Coordinator, Pitching; Team Manager
Classification: Part-Time (Temp)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros seek a Minor League Pitching Apprentice to join the Player Development Department as a uniformed coach at our complex in West Palm Beach, FL. This position will be immersed in a collaborative environment where candidates will be given the opportunity to grow and develop. While some contributions will be felt immediately, our true focus is on finding candidates with the necessary attributes to be long-term members of our team. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Applicants should have interest in gaining familiarity with player development, and learning to:
- Implement the Astros pitching development program and assist in design/monitoring of individual development plans
- Help staff plan daily pitching practice and coordinate with other members of the field staff
- Assist with analysis of pitcher performance deficiencies using tools, reports, and technology
- Collaborate with Sports Medicine and Performance personnel regarding the diagnosis of physical limitations/opportunities and the execution of solutions
- Communicate plans, goals and progress with players and relevant staff throughout checkpoints
- Assist field staff, when able and necessary, with day-to-day operations (e.g., throwing batting practice, hitting fungo, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Interest in on-field coaching, including throwing batting practice and hitting fungo
- Curiosity about player development practices, strength & conditioning, and analytics
- Basic familiarity with information and/or tools used in professional baseball
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office
- Strong work ethic and willingness to learn
- Professional or collegiate playing experience is a plus
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
The work will largely be performed at a sports venue (indoor or outdoor, hold/cold environment) that could be heavily crowded with high activity. This job operates both outside on a baseball field and in an office setting – at times the noise could become excessive.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and/or climb up or down stairs; may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, sit and/or move/lift up to 50lbs of equipment or supplies; use hands handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision. Medium strength is required.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is an apprenticeship that will require the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel is expected in this role. Employee must be able to travel with assigned minor league team throughout the entire season.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.