Minor League Baseball Hawk-Eye Operator with Houston Astros in Houston · TX
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Baseball Operations
Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisors: Manager of Baseball Technology
Status: Part-Time / Non-Exempt / Seasonal Position
The Houston Astros will be operating Hawk-Eye ball- and player-tracking technology at our Minor League affiliates in Texas and North Carolina for the 2021 Minor League championship season.
Hawk-Eye leverages optical tracking software and high frame rate cameras to generate various data points on each play in a game. Hawk-Eye operators will work out of the press box during the game, and will report to the Astros’ Manager of Baseball Technology.
We are actively accepting applications for game day operators at the following affiliates:
- Sugar Land Skeeters (Sugar Land, TX)
- Corpus Christi Hooks (Corpus Christi, TX)
- Asheville Tourists (Asheville, NC)
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers (Fayetteville, NC)
- GCL Astros (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Arrive at the ballpark approx. 2 hours before first pitch to log into the Hawk-Eye system via remote access programs.
- Conduct pre-game checks on cameras and software.
- Monitor camera-based models throughout the game and adjust, as necessary.
- Communicate with Hawk-Eye support staff to ensure proper data quality.
- Post-game review, linking and uploading of data.
- Submit any hardware/software issues via Slack with Astros and Hawk-Eye staff.
- Demonstrable knowledge of baseball
- Strong computer proficiency, and the ability to quickly learn and operate new programs
- Previous experience (especially press box exposure) with a professional or college sports team, preferably baseball
- Availability to attend games in person, on weekdays, nights and weekends.
- “Team player” attitude, including the abilities to make and learn from mistakes and to communicate with various support members
- This is an exciting opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology that requires dedication, reliability and strong communication skills.
Hawk-Eye operators will be provided with a brief but thorough training tutorial prior operating their first game, and will then be trained on the job, with remote Hawk-Eye staff walking through operating the first few games.
Operators will work all home games at their assigned affiliates, including any playoff games at home. Compensation will be $8.00/hour or minimum wage (whichever is higher) based on hours worked, plus time and a half for hours worked over 40, in accordance with State and Federal laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Experience Preferred - 1