Minor League Affiliate Technology Apprentice - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Baseball Operations – Player Development
Reports to: Manager, Baseball Technology
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Astros Minor League Affiliate Technology Apprentice will be responsible for game video and data collection for the Astros Player Development Department at one of the Astros 5 U.S. affiliates while reporting to the Manager of Baseball Technology. Technologies will include but not be limited to:
- Blast Motion
- Sports Medicine & Performance Wearable Devices
Affiliate Level / Team Name / Location / Approximate Dates:
- Triple-A | Sugar Land Skeeters | Sugar Land, TX | March 2022-9/21/22
- Double-A | Corpus Christi Hooks | Corpus Christi, TX | March 2022-9/18/22
- High-A | Asheville Tourists | Asheville, NC | March 2022-9/11/22
- Single-A | Fayetteville Woodpeckers | Fayetteville, NC | March 2022-9/11/22
- Gulf Coast League | GCL Astros | West Palm Beach, FL | February 2022-October 2022
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The apprentices at full-season affiliates can expect to work Minor League Spring Training (dates TBD) through the end of the assigned affiliate’s season, including playoff runs; the West Palm Beach apprentices will report for the start of Major League Spring Training and work until the end of Fall Instructional League (dates TBD).
The full-season apprentices will work during both home and away games including playoffs, traveling with the team while on the road. In addition to the operation of the above technology, the apprentice will also have some administrative responsibilities during road trips including, but not limited to:
- Creation of hotel rooming lists
- Being point of contact for caterers
- Assisting with luggage check-in at airport
The West Palm Beach apprentices will help with the operation of the above technology during Spring Training, Extended Spring Training, the Gulf Coast League regular season, and Fall Instructional League.
- Demonstrable knowledge of baseball
- Strong computer proficiency, and the ability to quickly learn and operate new programs
- Previous experience (especially press box exposure) with a professional or college sports team, preferably baseball
- Availability to attend games in person, on weekdays, nights and weekends.
- “Team player” attitude, including the abilities to make and learn from mistakes and to communicate with various support members
- This is an exciting opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology that requires dedication, reliability and strong communication skills.
The Astros will hold an all-expense-paid training session at our Spring Training complex in West Palm Beach, FL during Minor League Spring Training (dates TBD).
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Travel with the assigned affiliate will be expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.