Full-Stack Developer, Research & Development - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
Player Operations: Team Administration/Operations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Baseball Operations
Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisor: Director, Research and Development
Classification: Full-time (Exempt)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros Baseball Club is accepting applications for a talented full-stack developer to join our Research & Development team within Baseball Operations. The developer will join a growing development team responsible for building and maintaining software applications used by Astros players, coaches, and personnel to make better in-game decisions, acquire and develop the best talent, and win championships. This position will help plan, design, and build new tools, visualizations, and APIs for the next generation of Astros web apps to support all facets of Baseball Operations (scouting, player development, player acquisition, video, and more).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with a cross-functional agile team on designing, testing, implementing, and maintaining scalable applications for Baseball Operations
- Build and enhance interactive user interfaces that facilitate end users’ exploration of baseball datasets, proprietary models and metrics, and video
- Participate in the conceptualization and wireframing of new tools and APIs
- Create efficient and robust back-end services
Education and/or Experience
- Interest in baseball
- Proficiency with object-oriented concepts and languages such as C# or Java
- Proficiency with relational databases such as SQL Server, Postgres, Oracle
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as React or Angular
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Experience with back-end web services (especially using RESTful style APIs)
- Experience with web-based data visualization libraries such as Plotly or D3
- Experience with cloud services (Azure/AWS/GCP)
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment (Azure DevOps, Jenkins)
- Experience with distributed source code control (Git, GitHub, Bitbucket)
- Experience with agile software development (Jira, Confluence)
- Familiarity with Python and R
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.