Baseball Operations Intern - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Baseball Operations
Are you curious to explore different fields and thrive in dynamic environments? Do you possess a desire to learn, grow, and contribute to a winning team? If so, we invite you to join our team as a Baseball Operations Intern at the Houston Astros Baseball Club.
The Houston Astros are committed to innovation, data-informed decision-making, and fostering an inclusive environment that drives our success both on and off the field. As an intern, you will have the unique opportunity to explore the heart of our operations, learn from industry experts, and gain hands-on experience in a diverse and collaborative setting.
What is Baseball Operations?
Baseball Operations is responsible for managing a baseball team. The group evaluates baseball players at all levels and provides resources to improve performance. Within Baseball Operations, there are several Departments.
Scouting evaluates players through subjective and objective lenses and acquires players through drafts, trades, and other avenues. This group is split into different markets: International (amateur players who live outside the US and Canada), Amateur (domestic amateur players in high school and college), and Pro (players who are on a Major or Minor League roster).
Player Development improves Houston Astros players through coaching and training.
Research and Development ingests data, develops software applications, and builds models to assist in the evaluation and improvement of players.
Performance Science utilizes biomechanical information to support scouting and development.
Major League Operations assists with the day-to-day transactions of Major League players, including trades, signings, and other forms of player acquisition.
Advance Scouting studies upcoming opponents to help with game planning and in-game strategy.
Qualities We Seek:
We are searching for individuals who embody the following qualities:
- Desire to Learn: A relentless curiosity and enthusiasm for acquiring new skills and insights into the world of baseball operations.
- Adaptability: The ability to multi-task, stay organized, and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Effective Communication: Strong written and oral communication skills to convey ideas, findings, and collaborate effectively with a diverse team.
- Resourceful Thinking: A knack for creative problem-solving and an innovative mindset to identify new opportunities.
- Initiative: Comfortable making decisions and taking the lead when necessary to drive projects forward.
- Team Player: Able to work effectively both independently and within diverse teams, fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
As a Baseball Operations Intern, you will have the chance to:
- Learn and Build Relationships: Develop a comprehensive understanding of Baseball Operations while building valuable industry connections.
- Identify Opportunities: Identify areas for improvement through research and data analysis.
- Share Insights: Present your findings to a wide audience and propose actionable next steps based on your research.
- Data Analysis: Analyze both objective and subjective information streams to facilitate player development and acquisition decisions.
- Develop Tools: Create tools and reports that inform and enhance our decision-making processes.
Start date and duration of internship are flexible based on applicant’s availability.
This internship is an exciting opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of baseball operations and contribute to a forward-thinking organization. If you're ready to take the next step in your baseball career and learn from the best in the business, we encourage you to apply and be part of our winning team.
Join us in shaping the future of baseball operations.
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Rare travel may be expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.