Are you looking for a summer internship? Are you looking for an internship where you’ll actually be doing the work versus just “assisting” with everything? Look no further!
The Florence Flamingos summer internship program is designed to give college students the real-world experience. Each intern becomes the right-hand person for the department head in that particular area. The goal for all of our interns is when the summer is over, you are ready to actually do the work.
The Flamingos summer internship runs with our season which is from the middle-latter part of May until the beginning of August. We have a total of 25 home games and most of the positions have you working in the office as well.
The first season of the Florence Flamingos was a smashing success with 13 of 25 the games being sold out. The Florence Flamingos have become a national sensation and we’re looking for our next Flockstar. We are a collegiate summer baseball team and play in the Coastal Plain League. Our fans are treated with first-class entertainment..
The Florence Flamingos are led by Team President, Mitchell Lister. Together, Mitchell with owners Steve DeLay and Brandon Raphel have more than 59 years of combined experience all over the country in the NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball, MLS, college athletics and Minor League Baseball. With the Ultimate Toolkit Company, Steve has written books on ticket sales and partnerships that are used by hundreds of teams around the country.
We have several openings for internships. When applying, we’re going to ask you which ones you’re most interested in. Here’s what’s available and a little more about each one:
1. Ticket Sales – Operations/Inside Sales – You will work hand-in-hand with our Director of Ticket Operations and Inside Sales, Matt Downing. During games, you’ll be helping run the box office and assisting with the fan experience. In the office, you’ll be learning about the inside sales operation, making calls and the back end of the ticketing system.
2. Ticket Sales – Group Sales– You’ll be working with Hunter Stubbs, our Manager of Group Sales. In this position, you’ll be assisting the group sales team at the games with group experiences and customer service of our groups coming to the game. In the office, you may be making calls to groups and learning everything there is to making our group experience the best there is.
3. Marketing & Digital Strategy – Here you will be working with Austin, our Manager of Marketing. At games, you’ll be assisting with social media engagement, photography, videography, and overall fan experience. In the office, you’ll learn the digital strategy processes, community building and email marketing processes.
4. Merchandise – The merchandise intern will be working directly with Tyler Gibson on our team. You will be the team store manager for the summer, having oversight of the game day staff along with learning inventory processes, the back end of the online store and managing the overall merch strategy for games. In the office, you’ll work with the group on orders and making the store look Fly!
5. Food & Beverage – Here, you’ll be working right alongside of Tyler Gibson, our Manager of Food/Beverage & Ballpark Ops. You will literally be running the show alongside of Tyler in regard to all things food and beverage. The concession stands, bars and learning more about how food/beverage ties directly into the fan experience.
6. Ballpark Operations – Again, with Tyler, you’ll help with keeping our new stadium Carolina Bank Field as beautiful as it is. As part of the operations team, you’ll also have oversight of a good number of game day staff. Building schedules, building relationships, and building a culture.
7. Entertainment On-Field Host – Like being the star of the show? Here you will actually be the star of the show. You will be the main communicator to our fans during the inning breaks and setting the tone for our crowd. We’re looking for someone with energy here, folks.
8. Entertainment - Play-By-Play Announcer – While this may seem like your typical play-by-play role, it is not. This individual should have a knowledge of baseball and like talking to people. However, the play-by-play announcer does much more than that. We engage with our fans in real-time, interviews, vlogging and much more.
9. Entertainment – Photographer/ Videographer – Looking to grow your photography and videography skills, look no further than this. We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable at taking action shots and has a great eye of photos and videos of fans. Will need to know how to edit and produces quality content. Proficient knowledge of video and photo editing is a must.
10. Entertainment – Mascot Coordinator – Want to be the best mascot in the Pee Dee area, look no further than this. Flo is a 6-foot pink flamingo that goes all over town and makes appearances at all 25 home games. You will be the main attraction in all of Florence.
11. Entertainment – Music – As a major contributor to the show, you’ll be running music for the games. But it’s much more than that! Research, crowd pleasing and being creative are musts here. Run the music during the games and then building a plan in the office. This one is for the most creative.
12. Clubhouse Manager – Have a knack for sports operations/equipment? Here you’ll be working directly with our coaching staff to give the players the best experience possible. You’ll be responsible for laundry, keeping the clubhouses clean and supporting the coaching staff and players where needed.
Some items to consider…
We are looking for interns that are able to work the entire summer and commit to all home games and time in the office depending on the internship responsibilities.
We need you provide your own housing and have reliable transportation to and from the ballpark.
Course credit or a stipend is available for all our internships.
Our interns are highly sought in the working world upon graduation. Many of our interns have gone on to be hired by one of our teams and other sports organizations throughout the country.
Does this sound like the right internship opportunity for you? If so, apply and we’ll get going on the conversation right away. We won’t wait. We won’t string you along. We’ll tell you right away if you’ve got what it takes to join our family for the summer.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.