Are you looking for a summer internship? Wanting one where you’ll actually be doing the work versus just “assisting” with everything? Look no further!
The Florence Flamingos summer internship program is designed to give college students the real-world experience. Each intern becomes the chief of staff for the department head in that particular area. The goal for all of our interns is when the summer is over, you are ready to make a difference in your world.
Our summer internship runs with our season, which begins May 23rd and ends July 26th. We ask our interns to arrive no later than May 15th. We have a total of 26 home games, and most interns will see a mix of working both games and in office. You must be able to commit to all 26 home games.
The Flamingos are a summer-collegiate baseball team located in Florence, South Carolina. The team plays in the Coastal Plain League and competes against teams located in Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Virginia.
We have several openings for internships. When applying, we’re going to ask you which ones you’re most interested in. Here’s what’s available and a little more about each one:
1. Ticket Sales: Operations/Inside Sales – You will work hand-in-hand with our Director of Ticket Sales, Matt Downing. During games, you’ll be helping manage the box office and assisting with the fan experience. In the office, you’ll be learning about the inside sales operation, making outbound calls and managing the ticketing system.
2. Ticket Sales: Group Sales– You’ll be working with Hieu Ngo, our Manager of Group Sales. In this position, you’ll be assisting the group sales team at the games with group experiences and customer service of our groups coming to the game. In the office, you will be making outbound calls to groups and learning everything there is to making our group experience the best there is.
3. Merchandise – The merchandise intern will be working directly with Zoë Baker, our Manager of Merchandise. You will be the team store manager for the summer, having oversight of the game day staff along with learning inventory processes, the back end of the online store and managing the overall merch strategy for games. In the office, you’ll work with the group on orders and making the Flock Shop look fly!
4. Food & Beverage – Here, you’ll be working right alongside of Blake Bearden, our Manager of Food/Beverage & Ballpark Ops. You will be running the show alongside of Blake in regard to all things food and beverage. The concession stands, bars and learning as much as you can about how food/beverage ties directly into the fan experience.
5. Ballpark Operations – Again, with Blake, you’ll help with keeping our stadium Carolina Bank Field as beautiful as it is. As part of the operations team, you’ll also have oversight of a good number of game day staff. Building schedules, building relationships, and building a culture.
6. Clubhouse Manager – Have a knack for sports operations/equipment? Here you’ll be working directly with our coaching staff to give the players the best experience possible. You’ll be responsible for uniform maintenance, keeping the clubhouses clean and supporting the coaching staff and players where needed.
7. Marketing: Entertainment Lead – Like we’ve said, entertainment is a must when you come to a Flamingos game. This intern will be working closely with Alex Dusky, our Director of Marketing. You will plan out and help execute all of our in-game activities, brainstorm new ideas, and help keep baseball fun!
8. Marketing: On-Field Host – We pride ourselves on our fan-first entertainment, and that would not be possible without a successful on-field host. You will be the main communicator to our fans during the inning breaks and setting the tone for our crowd. You will work closely with Alex and the entertainment intern. We’re looking for someone with energy here, folks.
9. Marketing: Play-By-Play Announcer – While this may seem like your typical play-by-play role, it is not. This individual should have a knowledge and love of baseball and like talking to people. However, the play-by-play announcer does much more than call the games. We engage with our fans in real-time, interviews, vlogging and much more.
10. Marketing: Photographer/ Videographer – Looking to grow your photography and videography skills, look no further than this. We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable at taking action shots and has a great eye of photos and videos of fans. Will need to know how to edit and produce quality content. Proficient knowledge of video and photo editing is a must.
11. Marketing: Mascot Coordinator – Want to be the best mascot in the Pee Dee area, we’ve got the job for you. Flo is a 6-foot pink flamingo that goes all over town and makes appearances at all 26 home games. You will be the main attraction in all of Florence.
12. Marketing: Music Operator – As a major contributor to the show, you’ll be our own DJ for the games. But it’s much more than that! Pleasing the crowd and being creative are musts here. You will run the music during the games and assist Alex and the entertainment intern in creating a plan.
You will be responsible for housing and transportation. College credit and a stipend is available for all internships.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.