Job Title: Usher
Department: Ballpark Operations
Reports To: Director of Guest and Event Operations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Seat guests, checking their tickets and providing a courtesy wipe of their seats.
• May need to physically assist ambulatory, infirm or disabled fans to evacuate seating bowl or concourses during an emergency.
• Must be able to assist with entrance giveaways. This requires standing in place for 2-3 hours, bending and stretching. Seating Ushers must have the ability to lift and carry boxes weighing in excess of 25 pounds.
• Assist in the proper distribution of promotional items to our guests, i.e. Sponsor Coupons, etc
• Must understand and follow operational and ticketing policies/procedures used at Great American Ball Park.
• Must be able to use a communicator device issued to them
• Interact clearly, effectively and professionally with guests, staff and co-workers.
• Must remain attentive to the needs and demeanor of our guests using a positive, pro-active approach to problem solving.
• Must ensure fan compliance with Great American Ball Park policies/procedures and Major League Baseball Code of Conduct.
Ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Ability to work long and irregular hours including nights, weekends, holidays, and weekday afternoon games.
• Ability to work the entire event including pre and post-game activities.
• Ability to walk, stand, climb stairs and ramps for the entire event ( 5-7 hours)
• Ability to work large scale concerts.
• Must have strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read, speak and comprehend English.
• Ability to hear, comprehend and disseminate instructions and vital information especially in the event of emergencies.
• Must be able to work on all 4 levels of Great American Ball Park
• Ability to clearly, effectively, and professionally interact with staff, supervisors, contractors and the public. Will collaborate effectively with others to produce results.
• Ability to use a Communicator device to alert for any needs within their assigned section. Training will be provided.
• Must be able to lift, carry and transport large boxes and items in excess of 25 pounds
• Ability to handle large crowds while remaining friendly and professional. Will maintain a positive attitude under pressure.
• Adhere to Cincinnati Reds Organization Policies and Procedures
• Act as a role model within and outside the Cincinnati Reds Organization
• Performs duties as workload necessitates
• Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
• Meet Department productivity standards
• This is a seasonal opportunity and no benefits will be provided
• This position is outdoors and subject to weather conditions and requires standing on concrete for long periods of time as well as an extensive amount of walking and climbing steps
• Seating Ushers are members of the Office & Professional Employees International Union, Local 375
Important things to know BEFORE you apply:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background investigation. Accordingly, you may be required to complete the Cincinnati Reds application forms and other such documentation as may be necessary to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Pursuant to Major League Baseball, and in accordance with applicable law, you may be required to submit to a drug screen prior to and during your employment.
To be considered for employment for the above position applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have a high school diploma or GED.
• Must be available to work a minimum of 36 home games during the 2023 season which includes days, nights, weekends, holidays and weekday afternoon games. A 2023 schedule can be found at www.reds.com
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Cincinnati Reds are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Cincinnati Reds to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, military or veteran status, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The above description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties, as assigned, may become part of the job function. The duties listed above is, therefore, a partial representation not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.