Greenville Drive Organization Overview
For over 16+ years, the Greenville Drive has created a highly visible and widely embraced community engagement platform at Fluor Field, reaching over 1 million ballpark guests and digital followers across the Upstate each year. This broad-reaching platform provides the Drive the opportunity to position itself as a community entity that businesses & community organizations alike can utilize to achieve critical tangible & intangible objectives. Working closely with the leading corporations, associations and community-based organizations that shape the quality of life in the Upstate, the Drive has formed strategic partnerships that positively impact a variety of critical initiatives. From Education to Entrepreneurism, from Youth Leadership to Healthy Living, and from Regionalism to Workforce Development, the Drive has creatively and continuously leveraged the community engagement platform that is Fluor Field to positively impact these and other key quality of life drivers.
Non-baseball events are a critical aspect of the Drive’s business, growing in importance each and every year. Prior to the 2017 season, the Drive completed over $15M in ballpark renovations with the primary emphasis being to make the ballpark more event friendly. Along with these renovations, the Drive created a separate year-round events business (West End Events at Fluor Field) which seeks to leverage the equity and reputation Greenville Drive Baseball has built over 16+ years in the community.
The overall goal of West End Events at Fluor Field is to make Fluor Field the most desirable location in the Upstate to host an event. With multiple event spaces & experiences there’s quite literally an event space for every person, every company/organization, every size, and every need at Fluor Field.
Position Summary: West End Events Catering Director
Maximizing every fan & guest’s experience at Fluor Field is at the core of everything we do at the Drive – both for baseball games & year-round events. Our goal is to ensure every person’s visit to the ballpark is as high quality and memorable as possible. Because we’re a year-round events/entertainment property, food & beverage is a critical aspect of every visitor’s ballpark experience.
The West End Events at Fluor Field Catering Director will be a critical member of the Drive organization providing leadership and expertise in the food & beverage space to West End Events specifically working directly and in collaboration with the Drive’s food & beverage team, the Drive’s Executive Chef, and our ballpark facilities/operations team.
The West End Events Catering Director will be responsible for executing all of the day-to-day functions of West End Events’ various food & beverage needs. This individual will report to our Vice President of Business Development and will seek to maximize the potential of the West End Events’ food & beverage business by positioning the company as the region’s leader in event experience and quality. The following descriptions are all measures of what success will ultimately look like in this position:
- Strategic Oversight & Planning
- Develop, manage, and execute against an agreed upon ordering plan to ensure that inventory on hand for events is always kept at acceptable levels.
- Manage the daily activities of the events-related food & beverage operation including, but not limited to, cost and waste control procedures, quality of product offerings, identification of significant opportunities and threats as it relates to the West End Events food & beverage function, etc.
- Create and implement a strategic plan each year that seeks to provide new, fresh, and relevant food and beverage offerings to our West End Events customers. This strategic plan should encompass all aspects of the food & beverage operation, including menu recommendations, pricing recommendations, logistical and operational aspects, etc.
2. Internal & External Relationship Management
- Act as the on-site contact for the customer at all West End Events as it relates to food and beverage needs. This individual will be a resource to our West End Events customers from the time the event is being planned through execution of the event. The Catering Director should be available to answer questions from the customer as needed, troubleshoot and solve issues that arise on event day, etc.
- Establish a positive relationship with other departments within the organization that displays a collaborative and accountable culture as we seek to provide a first-class experience for our customers.
- Interact and coordinate with all current and potential external vendors and service providers to ensure that the Drive’s product offerings are fresh, desirable, and relevant.
- Ensure smooth and streamlined internal shared resource management across all Drive departments for event-related food & beverage purposes (e.g., Finance/Accounting, Sales team integration, Marketing/Sponsorships, West End Events, etc.).
3. Financial Performance
- Assist the Drive’s Vice President of Finance and Administration and Accounting Manager by managing tracking documents that help track sales by event, labor costs by event, and food costs/waste levels by event.
- Assist with conducting monthly physical inventory counts on all food & beverage product on-hand to ensure appropriate inventory levels are being maintained and proper ordering guidelines are followed.
- Manage and operate the Greenville Drive’s food & beverage point of sale system, including receiving deliveries into the system, managing POS terminals around the ballpark, and producing reports to help track key metrics.
- Manage, review, and approve all hourly time for payroll purposes as it relates to staffing for West End Events (hourly time, credit card tips, cash tips, etc.).
4. Customer Experience & Operational Excellence
- In collaboration with the entire Greenville Drive food and beverage department, lead all aspects of the food and beverage operation as it relates to West End Events. Food & beverage offerings for West End Events tend to be of a higher caliber than Drive baseball games; therefore, menu recommendations and costing is integral to providing a first-class customer experience. The Catering Director will work along-side our Director of West End Events, our Director of Food & Beverage, and our Executive Chef to produce the best menu available for our customers.
- Lead and execute all operational and logistical aspects of our events-related food and beverage business. This includes ensuring tables and/or buffet lines are appropriately set up prior to each event, and that all food and beverage is presented and prepared in an appropriate manner and as planned for all events.
- Lead all staffing needs related to the Drive’s event-related food & beverage business. This includes direct oversight and hiring of hourly staff in addition to appropriately staffing all West End Events from a food and beverage perspective (bartenders, servers, etc.). An integral part of the staffing plan should include adequate and sufficient training/guidance for all event-day staff.
- 4-year college degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- 5+ years of management experience in the food & beverage and/or hospitality industry
- Prior experience with managing and controlling labor and food cost in the food service/catering industry
- Be a team-leader with the ability to manage relationships with internal and external partners
- Must be flexible and able to adjust within a fast-paced work environment with shifting deadlines and schedules. Must also be a multi-tasker with a strong work-ethic
- Be a creative thinker and a problem solver – someone who can bring innovative ideas to grow the brand and the business and be capable of executing those ideas
- Strong conceptual planning, creative vision, and innovation skills
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, F&B point-of-sale systems preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and nights during West End Events peak times and as needed on a limited basis for Greenville Drive home baseball games
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.