The Bowling Green Hot Rods are in their 14th season of play as the High-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays. The Hot Rods have been the critical component in a massive downtown revitalization of Bowling Green, Kentucky and have become an established part of the community. Heading into the 2019 season, the Hot Rods executed a 2-million-dollar stadium improvement plan to Bowling Green Ballpark, including a new playing surface featuring latitude-36 bermuda grass and DuraEdge infield clay. The Sports Turf Manager will be starting with the best and we look to strive for maintaining the highest level possible.
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of the playing field that includes, but is not limited to turf (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating, top-dressing, over-seeding, discovery/control of weeds, insects, and diseases) and dirt (infield skin, baselines, home plate, pitcher’s mound, bullpens, warning track) management.
- Manage the irrigation system including proper water management of the playing surface and outside landscape, periodic maintenance checks, and repairing of leaking lines or valves.
- Oversee field operations, bullpens, hitting facility, mechanical equipment, dugouts, and the remaining grounds areas inside the ballpark
- Manage a budget, staff, and provide reporting in a timely manner
- Hire, train, and manage a gameday staff of 6-8 personnel
- Field work: mow, grade, roll, pack, and otherwise maintain baseball field and bullpens
- Understanding of the life cycle for Bermuda and Rye grass, along with knowledge of our climate
- Maintain hitting tunnel and all grounds/maintenance areas to a clean and proper status
- Maintenance and upkeep of all equipment, including but not limited to tractors, mowers, edger’s, trimmers, blowers, sprayers, UTV’s and other manual and small-engine equipment
- Attend all staff meetings, special events as assigned, and be an active member of the front office
- Ability to read, understand, and make decisions based upon radar and local weather patterns
- Understanding that special events are a large part of the Hot Rods business operation and the required needs of the field will come into play
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Turf Science required
- Currently hold a valid, or ability to obtain a, commercial chemical application license within 6 weeks of employment
- Minimum 2 year of experience working in professional/minor league baseball
- Must be Highly Motivated and Team Driven!
- Strong organizational, communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to work long hours, weekends, and all scheduled events at Bowling Green Ballpark
- Must have basic knowledge of equipment maintenance, such as routine oil changes, servicing equipment and diagnosing issues as they may arise.
- Must pass a background check
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.