The Tampa Bay Rays are in search of our next Research and Development Intern. Our R&D group helps shape our Baseball Operations decision-making processes through the analysis and interpretation of data. We are seeking those with a passion for baseball and a desire to contribute through mathematics, data analysis and computation. Our next intern will be an intellectual contributor that can work both individually and collaboratively, coming up with interesting research questions to explore, find ways to answer those questions with the data at their disposal, communicate the results of their research, and work to apply their research outcomes to improve how our organization operates. We want to work with people who care about being good teammates, want to make a positive impact on our organization, have an innovative spirit, and will explore new ways to make us better.
- Develop strong skills in statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, player development and strategic decision-making
- Learn methods for communicating complex research findings to a variety of Baseball Operations audiences
- Design research inquiries with the potential to yield immediately actionable findings within our organization
- Work collaboratively with and assist other members of our department with your areas of expertise
- Collect in-game data to support the operational needs of the department
- Ad hoc research and analysis in support of general Baseball Operations tasks
- A solid foundation in mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science, engineering and/or related fields.
- Advanced computational skills.
- Experience with either R, Python, and/or Stan preferred.
- Experience solving complex problems.
- Creativity to discover new avenues of research.
- Willingness to relocate to St. Petersburg, Florida for the duration of the internship preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.