*Frontend Software Developer - Tampa Bay Rays (Saint Petersburg · FL · Open to Remote)
- has a demonstrated eye for UI/UX and good design.
- is super-proficient at HTML/CSS.
- sleeps better at night by having well-tested code.
It’s not required, but would be awesome if you:
- have backend experience. We use Ruby on Rails.
- have a strong grasp of the inner workings Webpack.
- have built custom data visualizations. We use D3.
- love baseball.
What is Baseball Systems?
- As part of Baseball Operations, our team builds the innovative tools that our players, coaches, analysts, scouts and front office personnel use to do their jobs, make decisions, and win ballgames.
- Our team consists of several data engineers, backend developers and frontend developers and coordinators.
- Every line of code we write — and feature we ship — has a direct impact on the field, helping us compete in the postseason year after year.
- Working within the most innovative and collaborative front office in MLB, your ideas will be welcomed and heard.
- Build new features or maintain existing features in our proprietary software application.
- Identify and correct bugs quickly.
- Document code and support procedures thoroughly.
- Meet with Baseball Operations staff that have requested a new feature to gather requirements and help with feature planning.
- Train non-technical users on new features or applications.
- You might take half a day off from time to time to watch a baseball game.
Why work for the Rays?
- A top notch development environment with a company provided laptop, Github Enterprise, frictionless CI/CD, bug tracking, top project management and documentation software, and automated testing to minimize bugs to keep you focused on new features.
- Opportunities to choose and work with new technology. We strongly believe in choosing the right tool for the job even if it isn’t part of our current stack.
- Exceptional benefits including:
- health, vision and dental coverage at VERY competitive rates.
- an enhanced 401k where the company contributes even if you don’t!
- free tickets to baseball and soccer games (We also own the Tampa Bay Rowdies) for you, your friends and family.
- the option to take one day off a month to volunteer for charity that doesn’t count against your vacation time.
- healthy meal options at very low cost right in the office.
- yoga once a week during the workday.
- You’ll be working with some of the sharpest minds in all of baseball.
- You are a good teammate and like working with other driven and caring teammates.
- Your office is in a baseball stadium! Or your office can be remote, your choice!
- We are an organization that prides itself on coaching others so please apply even if you don’t meet every one of the requirements above.
- A ~30 minute phone call to get to know each other and discuss the position in more detail.
- In some cases, we have a second ~30 minute phone call with one of our recruiting staff.
- A small take-home coding project. We don’t do coding tests or coding on a whiteboard.
- Two or three small panel interviews. In addition to covering technical skills, you will also meet other members of Baseball Operations you’d be collaborating with.
- Make a decision!
Acknowledgement by applying: I understand that if offered a role and by accepting a role with the Tampa Bay Rays or Rowdies, I will be participating in COVID-19 community risk mitigation practices including wearing masks in common areas and being vaccinated against the virus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
What are a few of your favorite websites or apps that you admire for their design?