*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Opening September 2022, Aztec Stadium is a 35,000-seat multipurpose venue that will serve as the home for San Diego State University (SDSU), major concerts, professional sports, motorsports, NCAA and world championships, international soccer, festivals, high school sports, entertainment events and private special events. For more info, please visit: www.aztecstadium.com.
The Head Fields & Grounds Manager reports to the Director of Operations and oversees all stadium grounds which includes the field of play (natural grass, Latitude 36), adjacent tailgate park (approximately 240k square feet of mixed used field space, sod) and all landscaping associated with the stadium grounds.
The Head Fields & Grounds Manager is responsible for overseeing overall field maintenance including all playing surfaces, and stadium grounds. This person will directly supervise employees and vendors who will maintain natural grass fields along with landscaping at the venue.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment, and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/
- Oversee the field maintenance of the stadium playing field and tailgate fields to include mowing, grooming, painting, fertilizing and cultivating as required for first class playing surface.
- Setting up the fields for all football games, sporting events as well as all other special events presented at the stadium.
- Purchasing and maintaining the field equipment and supplies.
- Keep records of all maintenance and repairs on field and grounds equipment.
- Maintain the irrigation system for fields and grounds.
- Identifies turf grass diseases, weeds, pests and takes appropriate action to correct the issues.
- Operates light duty vehicles, ride on mowers, push mowers etc.; Trains employees on use of equipment.
- Oversee with all field and landscaping projects.
- Supervise installation of all fields as well as re-sods (both partial and full)
- Oversee installation and removal of field covering for concerts and special events.
- Ensure timely and accurate communication from Grounds department to other appropriate departments and staff.
- Maintain good relations with all vendors, venue partners and staff.
- Manage field and landscaping budget.
- Responsible for health & safety compliance.
- Recruits, selects, trains and directs the work of, and evaluates grounds employees.
- Work with direct reports and other department team members to correct deficiencies; implement timely disciplinary action as needed.
- Meets with Director of Operations on regular basis to discuss all matters pertaining to day-to-day field conditions and events as required.
- Maintain hazardous materials communications program, and material safety data sheets; maintain knowledge of changes in pertinent Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Teams.
- Other duties as assigned
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
- S. in Turfgrass Science or similar area of study and minimum of 5 years of head groundskeeping experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Possess understanding of the operational procedures, venue capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated in the venue.
- Understand and work from general instructions, specifications, blueprints, sketches, cads and preventive maintenance schedules.
- Knowledge of equipment, tools and procedures of grounds construction and maintenance.
- Possess or able to possess all necessary spray licenses required by trade.
- Knowledge of techniques of planting and maintaining plants, trees and shrubs suited to the area location.
- Demonstrated administrative experience and knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in planning and supervising a grounds care unit.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to perform physical tasks such as; lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing stairs & ladders and pulling tarps.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work, nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to express ideas clearly through both oral and written communication.
- Effectively work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply.