Engineer | Iowa Events Center & Wells Fargo Arena - Spectra (Des Moines · IA)
Sports Jobs in Des Moines · IA
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Facility/Venue Management
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Engineer performs skilled journey level and leadwork duties on the technical operation of critical facility systems, performing facility & equipment maintenance / troubleshooting, and system monitoring under general direction. Employee performs advanced work in the maintenance and repair of steam generating boilers, electrical generating equipment & auxiliary systems, and centralized air-condition systems. Accountable to the Asst. Chief Engineer and Chief Engineer.
- Performs maintenance and repair of facility equipment, auxiliary systems, minor electrical and plumbing repairs
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on equipment and auxiliary systems; oils and lubricates fans, motors, pumps and generators, cleans screens, strainers, burners and automatic controls
- Accurately and timely performs tasks to ensure the highest level of efficiency in the operation returning equipment to operational status
- Troubleshoots and recommends operational methods and procedures
- Responsible to continuously track daily performance and completed tasks through MicroMain web-based system
- Effective and timely communication with management and team members including arrival, location, departure; communicating work issues and building needs; escalating issues to management as required
- Work in accordance with Spectra safety policies / procedures, along with local, state, federal, OSHA guidelines
- Repairs boilers, water pumps, fans and motors and replaces defective parts in accordance with provisions of prescribed preventative maintenance.
- Blows down the boilers to lower the concentration of suspended and dissolved solids of the water and to check the low water cutoff and automatic controls.
- Makes chemical tests of boiler feed water to determine its’ alkalinity, chlorides, hardness and pH level, and to prevent scaling, pitting of boiler tubes and buildup of sludge deposits.
- With management approval, orders product, tools, supplies for maintenance & repair; receives product and maintains orderly inventory
- Performs some, but less than the full range, of supervisory functions meeting company standards
- Regularly inspects the facility, grounds and equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning conditions
- Responds to emergencies, operates diesel powered electrical generator to provide emergency electrical power during power outages or curtailment as required
- Participate in ongoing technical, safety and operational training programs as required
- Work with vendors / contractors to ensure work is completed and meets company standards
- Maintains professional working relationships with all internal and external clients
- Must work on-site, maintain excellent attendance, and contribute to a safe & healthy work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Four or more years’ experience in the operation, preventative maintenance and repair of some or all of the following: steam generating boilers, centralized air-conditioning or electrical power generating equipment and auxiliary systems
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in skilled trades, engineering or similar field will be considered in lieu of full four years’ experience
- Basic computer experience including ability to accurately fill out web forms; check & respond to email.
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance systems
- Possession of a First-Class Stationary Engineer’s License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Possession of Universal EPA license and a first-class stationary engineer’s license preferred
- Ability to effectively work independently and as a part of a team; strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to report to work for emergencies as required
- Ability to work a schedule that can vary including early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays