Vice President of Operations with Coachella Valley Arena in Coachella Valley · CA
Coachella Valley Arena jobs
Sports Jobs in Coachella Valley · CA
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Facility/Venue Management
Founded in 2015 by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff, Oak View Group (OVG) is the largest developer of new arenas in the world with over $4.5 billion worth of projects underway in Seattle, Belmont Park, Austin, Savannah, Palm Springs, Milan, and Manchester (U.K.). The company has over 500 employees across five offices around the globe.
We are here to be a positive disruption to business as usual in the sports and live entertainment industry. At OVG, we own the space between the “What If” and the “How To.” We believe it is not enough to consider what our clients could be, we build businesses by dreaming of the impossible while thinking strategically and how to execute flawlessly. The status quo is our adversary.
We never forget that we are fans first and every decision we make is through that lens. It is that unique perspective that drives our passion for innovating and improving the live experience.
OVG is currently comprised of nine different business divisions that operate with one common goal in mind – to be a positive disruption. Each division is comprised of industry veterans who built their careers and reputations on the premise of leaving somewhere better and stronger than where they found it. Our immense practical and first-hand knowledge fosters an environment of trust, collaboration, and ingenuity. Humility is at our core. We do not strive to be the biggest – we strive to earn the respect of the industry and our clients through the world-class work that we do and we take pride in being the best. Visit www.oakviewgroup.com to learn more about our company.
ABOUT COACHELLA VALLEY ARENA:
America’s hottest music festival destination is finally getting the world-class arena it deserves. Opening in the Fall of 2022, the Coachella Valley Arena will provide the greater Palm Springs area of Southern California with a premiere 11,500+ seat venue to host the biggest artists and acts on the planet. Designed specifically for hockey and concerts, the new arena will provide top-tier hospitality, artist amenities, and all of the benefits of a modern music and sports venue. In addition, the facility will serve as the new home of the American Hockey League affiliate of the Seattle Kraken.
The Coachella Valley Arena is a $250+ million project that is being 100% privately funded through outstanding partners Oak View Group, Live Nation, and the NHL Seattle.
We are building a championship organization that serves our fans, community, and business partners through exceptional sports and entertainment. We believe that Winning Matters, our Fans come first, with risk comes reward, great teams can achieve unimaginable results, and honoring the culture and diversity of the cities that make up the Coachella Valley in Southern California.
The Vice President of Operations is responsible for developing and ensuring the implementation of departmental strategic plans and supporting business plans in the organization’s Maintenance, Grounds, Custodial, Event Production, Conversion and Operations departments with a focus on maximizing event revenue opportunities and creating the ultimate fan experience for the arena. This position will also act as one of the primary leads with the project manager during the construction process and will be responsible for developing the future Arena Capital Plan.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee and provide strategic leadership to the Event Production department who are responsible for planning, coordinating and executing all events held at arena, including up to approximately 40 concerts/entertainment events, 40 AHL hockey sporting events, and 40 community/rental events each year
- Oversee and provide strategic leadership to the Maintenance and Custodial departments responsible for the effective cleanliness, safety & security, OSHA reporting, operation and maintenance of arena and related equipment
- Act as one of the primary Executives on Duty at all events held at arena
- Continually evaluates the quality of the fan experience by firsthand observation, objective feedback and interaction
- Use inspection reports, customer correspondence, feedback studies and pro-active actions to determine the level of satisfaction with our performance and service levels for internal and external fans
- In collaboration with other members of the leadership team, develop and foster integrated initiatives that promote the ultimate basketball and concert fan experience
- Oversee and lead major projects that impact arena such as building development and exclusive events
- Develop, manage, and execute the corporate capital plan for arena
- Develop and maintain close strategic partnerships and oversee issues that arise with external partners such as concessionaire, parking provider, third-party housekeeping, etc.
- Work closely with Ownership and Senior Leadership Team on initiatives that significantly affect strategic objectives of the organization
- Serve as a committed and responsible member of the Senior Leadership Team, contributing to the strategic planning process
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- 10+ years’ experience in arena and/or stadium with oversight of facilities management, hospitality, or complex institutions with direct responsibility for supervising/directing staff across a wide-range of operating functions in a fast-paced environment (Building Ops, Concert & Event Productions, Food & Beverage Concessions, Security, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Hospitality or Facilities Management or other related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Previous experience in a venue with a professional sports team or a Division I college athletic tenant
- Possess all required licenses, training or certificates
- Previous experience working concerts, trade/consumer shows, and community events
- Experience with creating successful initiatives that focus on the fan experience
- Extensive knowledge and an understanding in all aspects of commercial construction and building maintenance
- Possess strong organizational and communication skills, a strategic thinker and planner with a proven track record of success in facility management
- Experience creating strategic directions for businesses, including the development of tactical details while maintaining a clear view of the big picture
- Proven record of developing and maintaining strong partnerships and collaborative spirit with peers in all lines of the business
- A strong record of personal and team achievement over his/her career with substantial personal contributions to the positive evolution of the business through innovative thinking and an ability to make things happen
- Solid experience in leading, motivating and developing employees
- Superior listening skills with a level of intellectual ability/agility
- A high degree of personal integrity and consistently put the interests of the organization ahead of his/her own
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess previous experience with the construction/grand opening or major renovation of an arena or stadium
- Experience with large crowd management in a stadium or concert setting of a similar size (11,000+ seats) is highly desirable
- Minimal Travel (<10% travel): May be required to travel. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, nights and holidays required
- Frequent bending, lifting 25-35 pounds, sitting, exposure to multiple external elements, extensive walking through the building
Oak View Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
How many years have you worked in an Arena, Stadium, or Theatre?
What specific sports and entertainment venues have you worked? Please include names of venues