In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Director of Engineering and Maintenance reports directly to the VP of Building Operations and is responsible for the Physical Plant including the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire and life safety, and building automation systems at UBS Arena. Included in this responsibility is leadership, budgeting, staffing, and training of the UBS Arena repairs and maintenance staff. The Director will also be responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive preventative maintenance program for all building equipment and systems.
- Maintain the overall appearance, general operation and repair of the facility’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire & life safety systems. Managing carpentry and painting repairs. And overseeing the proper operation of the ice plant servicing the New York Islanders game ready ice floor.
- Hire, train, and supervise all arena maintenance staff, inclusive of a union workforce. Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance schedules for all building systems and equipment.
- Manage the CMMS work order system to ensure preventative maintenance and building repairs are performed and documented in a timely manner.
- Develop the maintenance department budget supporting the preventative and annual maintenance plans and monitor expenditures against budget.
- Lead the development, budgeting, and managing of short-term and long-term facility capital projects.
- Oversee outside maintenance contractors and service contracts for the arena MEPF systems.
- Directly monitor outside contractor personnel making sure that work is performed up to job specifications and UBS Arena standards.
- Investigate, analyze, and resolve operational problems, complaints, and emergency repairs in a timely and efficient manner.
- Assist with the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedure manuals for the maintenance of all building systems.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all maintenance staff, including the development of a comprehensive workplace safety program, following all OSHA and local safety regulations.
- Work with outside agencies such as fire, health, building departments to ensure all codes, licenses, and permits are up to date. Conduct periodic testing required assuring compliance with all government regulations. Ensure full compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Comply with all UBS Arena policies and procedures. This includes safety, insurance, incident/accident reports, purchasing, HR, payroll, and accounting.
- Maintain an inventory and maintenance record for all equipment and supplies for the department. Ensure maintenance of tools and equipment is in good repair and properly stored.
- Work with UBS Arena’s Event Services Department to ensure that each event’s building needs are met and staffed accordingly.
- Develop and manage the arena’s energy management program to include training and implementation of energy saving initiatives.
- Assist all internal departments, vendors, and clients as assigned and perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field and/or a minimum of seven years’ experience in sports and entertainment facility management.
- Technical knowledge in areas of preventative maintenance and CMMS software.
- Experience in various aspects of full building operations and technical training.
- Strong background in HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry and general repair.
- Strong organizational skills, time management, detail-oriented, and planning skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with customer service focus.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of UBS Arena.
- Ability to work with integrity, discretion and a professional approach.
- Effective communication skills.
- Skills in supervision, budget management and project management.
- Proactive, service focused
- Attention to Detail
- Works well under pressure