In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Senior Event Manager has two areas of responsibility:
- assisting the Director of Events in recruitment, training, and development of full-time event managers. The Senior Event Manager leads and supports Event Managers including developing, coordinating, and supervising all event related activities key (less than 20,000 attendees) at McCormick Place.
- This role functions as the onsite Event Manager for large-scale events over 20,000 attendees, acting as primary client contact during all phases of event management, ascertain client requirements for event set-up, etc. to ensure event runs to client satisfaction.
This role will pay a salary of $80,000 to $110,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
job expires 3/31/2024
- Serves as the central resource for the FT Event Manager staff once they begin their event planning process and subject matter expert for all event execution, supports with training and help as needed.
- Supervises staff and oversees all aspects of event operational support related to large scale events (including scheduling of union and non-union staff).
- Meets with client groups to plan and organize assigned meetings and/or events, ensuring clear communication between all customers and their event contractors and all internal parties to ensure the efficient and superior delivery of all services for assigned events
- Assist in development of departmental annual budget with the Director of Events/Finance
- Partner with HR to support hiring initiatives, engagement activities and community outreach
- Assist in ensuring accuracy of financials: post-event billing of services and equipment charges.
- Develop and control event budgets including preparing pre-show event financial estimates and completing post-show financial settlements based on contractual requirements.
- Ensure timely and accurate event information is delivered to the Finance Department for settlement/invoicing purposes.
- Assist sales managers in preparation of pre-booking cost estimates.
- Detail event for client approval and internal communication by creating Event Resume in Ungerboeck Software.
- Coordinates activities with the various service contractors for assigned meetings and/or events.
- Guides clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures.
- Keeps clients informed as to status of deadline schedules, including but not limited to floor plan submissions, meeting room set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details.
- Assist in the management, development, and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of event related programs.
- Exercises discretion and utilizes independent decision-making during events that will best represent McCormick Place, the MPEA and the client.
- Ensure that all event insurance certificates, licenses and permits required are obtained in a timely manner
- Advance and communicates all event information to appropriate departments and staff
- Troubleshoot during event preparation and during event to ensure that all event setups are correct including making decisions about policy, procedures, billing and staffing
- Oversee all production, setup, event staff, event-related contract services
- Maintain communication with events team to ensure a flawless event
- Create work schedules for event and security staff, delegate assignments and review performance and results
- Communicates in a timely fashion any/all problems and proposed solutions to the AGM and/or Director of Events
- Receives and responds to complaints from tenants and the public or refers them to the Director of Events
- Prepares events reports noting attendance, times, significant problems, etc.
- Ensure collection of all payable by due dates
- Finalizes lessee requirements including table arrangements and number and nature of support personnel (ushers, security guards, caterers & decorators)
- Coordinates effectively with other departments including Operations, Catering Sales, Engineering, etc
- Maintain superior interpersonal relations with clients, employees, management, contractors, and union employees
- Must work on-site for assigned events, maintain excellent attendance, and contribute to a safe & healthy work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality, Management, Business, or related field, plus (7) seven or more years of event management experience in convention centers or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Requires 5+ years of employee supervision experience, union knowledge preferred
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office programs in a Windows format; experience with AutoCAD preferred
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of events, including crowd management and control techniques; fire and public safety regulations, food service practices, A/V equipment and relevant federal, state, and local regulations
- Understanding of set up, audio, video, lighting, and rigging preferred
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to function and make management decisions in a fast-paced high-pressure environment
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including long shifts, early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as required
- Work independently exercising judgment and initiative with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to demonstrate problem-solving and communication skills.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Must be able to stand or walk for the duration of the shift and must be able to carry and lift according to industry standards.
- Professional presentation and appearance during events.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) preferred, but not required.
- Experience in event management software (Ungerboeck) preferred, but not required.