In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
Directly reporting to the Assistant General Manager of Sales and Marketing, the primary role of the McCormick Place Director of Sales is to manage the sales team to ensure that the highest quality and standards for revenue, economic impact goals and departmental sales goals objectives are met for each fiscal year. The DOS is responsible for providing oversight of day-to-day activities while maximizing targeted booking opportunities within the short-term 24-month timeframe. This position works collaboratively and collectively with Choose Chicago and the MPEA Hotel Collection in maintaining the sales calendar.
This position requires an energetic, innovative, knowledgeable, revenue driven, strong hospitality sales professional, to be accountable for the MPEA and McCormick Place CC’s mission to promote and sell McCormick Place, the Hotel Collection and Chicago. This is accomplished by developing and implementing ongoing strategic initiatives that will positively impact revenue.
This role will pay a salary of $100,000 to $140,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
- Works with the General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Choose Chicago, OVG hospitality, MPEA and the Hotel Collection to direct all sales initiatives.
- Oversee sales calendar reporting for all conventions, meeting, tradeshows, and event bookings.
- Assists in the development and implementation of sales strategies and marketing plans to effectively promote and sell MPC and The Hotel Collection for all targeted markets.
- Communicates with the sales leaders of Choose Chicago, MPEA Hotel Collection, OVG hospitality and other key hospitality partners, to understand their sales strategies and needs while communicating MPC’s needs and opportunities.
- Supervise, advise, support, guide and direct the facility’s short-term sales team and monitor their performance on an ongoing basis. This will also include but not limited to performance reviews and ongoing educational opportunities.
- Direct, implement, and oversee the MPC’s sales efforts of the sales team to include, but not limited to, bidding conventions, meetings, tradeshows, and events.
- Develop and implement all aspects of the MPC’s short-term sales plan and strategy, including sales goals/objectives while overseeing and evaluating the progress of all defined sales efforts.
- Work in collaboration with Choose Chicago, in order to facilitate a consistent and unified selling front and approach for all long-term business. This includes but is not limited to MPC’s dates, rates, booking policies and procedures.
- Negotiates contract terms with MPC clients according to adopted policies/guidelines and subject to General Manager’s approval.
- Prepare proposals; reevaluate potential rental & sponsorship value of sales inventory; initiate contractual arrangement; prepare contracts; negotiate terms as required.
- Administers the MPC’s booking related issues and business policies, subject to AGM of Sales and Marketing and the General Managers approval.
- Represents management in developing and maintaining relationships with current and potential clients.
- Works with show managers and meeting planners in facilitating site visits and appointments.
- Prepare, in collaboration with the assistance of the General Manager, Assistant General Manager and the Director of Marketing, OVG Hospitality, MPEA and Choose Chicago the annual sales and marketing plan.
- Monitors market conditions and maintain a strategic planning approach, which optimizes the MPC’s position relative to competition and market forces.
- Manages the short-term sales efforts in a manner designed to maximize venue occupancy while supporting the overall strategy related to quality and impact.
- Administers the design and production of collateral materials including rate schedules, operating policies.
- Works with the AGM of Sales and Marketing, AGM of Operations, Space Optimization Manager and Yield Management Analyst, Director of Event Operations and Director of Event Management in updating the Event Planning Guides and implementing efficient information flow between the facility, MPEA, Hotel Collection and Choose Chicago.
- Supervises the preparation of monthly statistical reports which includes documenting sales activities, including prospecting efforts and results of the MPC.
- Works cooperatively with the hotel and hospitality community and other members of the city’s visitor industry in enhancing its position as a convention, meeting, and events venue.
- Develop and update pricing and sales materials for the rental rates, meeting/banquet space, and hospitality packages as needed.
- Update the General Manager, Assistant General Manager of Sales and Marketing, and the Director of Finance on any significant future years sales activity, including event cancellations.
- In collaboration with the AGM of Sales and Marketing develop and implement the annual expense budget for the sales department. Monitor the monthly sales department expense report and address any significant expense variances.
- Manage the sales activity efforts, including developing individual prospecting and booking goals for all short-term business for Sales Managers.
- Closely collaborate with the MPC, The Hotel Collection, Choose Chicago, and Manager of Marketing & Communications on strategy, collateral and creative, reporting, messaging and key selling points, content and social media. Including the development and design of all the MPC’s sales and collateral materials.
- Maintain communication and contact on a regular basis with selected business, professional, and social groups that may host or provide leads for conventions, meetings, events, tradeshow, and tourism markets.
- Actively conduct outside sales calls for potential event/meeting planners.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain relationships within the meetings, convention, events, and tradeshow industries.
- Attend appropriate sales and industry related meetings and events .
- Consistently and continuously find ways to create a means and method of streamlining all aspects of the sales process and overall business development.
- Develop, augment, and maintain industry best practices, rules, policies and procedures.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- 7+ years of increasingly responsible experience in a professional convention center management and or hospitality sales role, with at least two (2) years of direct supervisory experience at the department director level.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in public assembly facility management, hospitality management, business administration or a related field.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet these requirements may be substituted.