In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Operations Supervisor assumes management responsibility for all services and activities involved in the operations of all arena and convention spaces; providing direct supervision of all full time and part time hourly employees in the Operations Department, specifically in the areas of housekeeping, room sets, show care and conversions at the Iowa Events Center.
- Management in areas of planning, directing, coordinating and review of work plans for facility operations
- Review, interpret and communicate with other management staff on complex event documents to forecast staffing and equipment needs for all arena and convention events
- Responsible for the coordination and communication of a complex department schedule to ensure proper facility coverage, monitoring labor costs
- Oversee, direct, monitor changeover and housekeeping crews, providing team support
- Maintain a healthy & safe work environment in accordance with company, local, state, federal and OSHA regulations / laws.
- Report unsafe working conditions, injuries, employee concerns, or escalated situations to management
- Represent the company with temporary agencies, contractors, and vendors in a professional manner
- Communicate with temporary agencies on staffing; schedule and monitor on-site labor
- Interview applicants for part time Building Attendant, independently make hiring decisions and onboard
- Coach, evaluate, mentor employees to correct deficiencies; present / discuss discipline procedures timely. Partner with Operations management and Human Resources as needed.
- Suspend employees; recommend employees for termination and deliver termination as required.
- Manage DNR (Do Not Return) situations with temporary staff members and agency as required.
- Provide & oversee training for all Operations employees and temporary workers
- Responsible to understand, comply with, and supervise employees within parameters of any Collective Bargaining Agreement. Maintain positive, professional relations with any Union representatives.
- Coordinate / lead staff training and safety programs
- Maintains departmental equipment, notifying management when repairs are needed
- Ensure staff is working safely, monitoring any approved restrictions / reasonable accommodations
- Participate in the development and administration of the Operations budget; forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures and implement adjustments as necessary within assigned responsibilities. Provide recommendations / improvements.
- Coordinate / collaborate on events with Event Managers, Food Services, A/V, I.T., Engineering, etc.
- Maintain superior interpersonal relations with vendors, contractors, employees, management and temporary employees
- Must work on-site, maintain excellent attendance, and contribute to a safe & healthy work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in facility management, event management, or related field; experience will be considered in lieu of education
- Two (2) or more years’ experience in an operations / facility position in an arena, convention center, public facility or similar environment; with knowledge of set up/housekeeping and event coordination
- Proficient computer skills in a Windows format. Experience with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, internet-based programs, and basic typing skills preferred.
- Ability to effectively be available via a company provided cell phone, email, text.
- Ability to effectively lead a large team in a fast paced, high pressure environment\
- Knowledge of OSHA and other local / state / federal safety standards / requirements
- Forklift certification or ability to acquire within 90 days of employment
- Possess superior interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, professionally in-person and in-writing
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and with a team. Excellent organizational skills
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License preferred
- Ability to work an event-driven schedule including shifts of 8 hours or more; on varying days, nights, weekends and holidays
INTELLECTUAL/SOCIAL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time constraints and with moderate to high pressure situations. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including following verbal, written or diagram instruction; following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employee in this role will constantly be in leadership role; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. Employee should maintain a well-groomed appearance. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including ability to direct, motivate staff and foster collaboration, ability to recognize and resolve conflicts; ability to openly communicate professionally with clients / guests. Proficiency of the English language verbally, in writing, and to read company information and communicate to teams. Frequent use of company provided cell phone and text. Constant use of company radio for communication. Ability to hear and respond quickly in high pressure situations to radio requests from employees, security, etc. Use of company equipment such as computer, phone, company radio, earpiece, copy machine, scanner, calculator.
While performing duties of this job, the employee frequently lifts and moves facility equipment, supplies and tools. Employee will regularly move about inside and outside various areas of the facility before, during, after events on flat and uneven terrain; reach, push, pull using hands, arms and shoulders. Position will require employee to frequently bend, kneel, stoop, or crouch in order to evaluate and inspect equipment. Employee will operate a forklift and high lift in assessment of and maintenance of the building and equipment. Required to constantly adjust visual focus close & at a distance to view set-up and peripheral vision to see moving equipment. Employee will occasionally be required to identify or match colors/tones of furniture or carpet. Employee may regularly be required to lift up to 20 lbs, push/pull 150 lbs; occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors and occasionally outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. Exposure to wet / slick floors including ice. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate during non-event days and when not operating equipment; and moderate to loud during event days when equipment is in operation. Exposure to a cold work environment in and around ice (seasonally). Employee leads a team in crowded workspaces with up to thousands of guests in attendance. Exposure to heights on lifts, arena catwalk; steep-inclines, stairs, elevators, escalators, and freight elevators.