USL Work Experience Program
Job Title: Club Services UWEP
Position Type: Internship - For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Spring 2024
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports 2021 and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for partnering within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including business development, digital, club services, analytics, and more; with the ultimate goal of providing students with well-rounded practical work experience in sports.
Under the direction of the USL Club Services team, the Club Services UWEP supports the Club Services department by assisting with the generation and analysis of numerous reports that have a direct impact on overall league and team revenue. The Participant will assume an integral role in the reporting and analysis of club ticket sales and corporate sales and gain practical experience within a League Club Services department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Revenue Database Management: Collection and implementation of all ticket and corporate sales revenue data with comparison of team information through the portal system and excel spreadsheets
- Secret Shopper Audits: Provide phone calls to teams discussing the purchase of specific packages and promotions with the intention to audit how teams go through a call to promote and sell tickets and services
- Conference Calls: Assist on all sales generation conference calls with the league, create new tasks and topics for the teams to discuss and note preparation during the call for minutes and recap
- 1-on-1 Monthly Calls: Participate on monthly phone calls with Directors of revenue generation throughout the league
- Research: Create spreadsheets of revenue generation information and league best practices including; ticket sale and corporate sale best practices
- Assist other departments and operational areas as requested to provide a well-rounded overview of working in sports
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook are a must
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required
- While completing the USL Work Experience Program remotely, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.