United Soccer League
Job Title: Associate General Counsel
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports 2021 and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel plays an essential role in mitigating risk and providing legal counsel across this fast-paced and rapidly growing organization, including across all of its leagues and properties. As one member of a three-lawyer team, the ideal candidate will be ready to hit the ground running on day one, assisting in all aspects of the legal function, including transactional, regulatory, compliance and advising, and occasional oversight of outside counsel for litigation matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Draft and negotiate franchise agreements across USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two and USL W League;
- Assist with franchise regulation compliance, including by filing Franchise Disclosure Documents and communicating with state regulators;
- Handle complex commercial and media transactions, including multi-year broadcast and production contracts, commercial product licensing agreements, and sponsorship agreements;
- Regularly provide best practices and advice to USL and to USL’s teams on a wide array of legal issues;
- Handle employment law issues as they arise and assist clubs with best practices regarding the same;
- Conduct due diligence of ownership groups, including by vetting operating agreements and financial statements;
- Assist collective bargaining agreement negotiations with the USL Players Association for both USL Championship and USL League One;
- With the assistance of outside counsel, counsel the league office and provide best practices to clubs regarding labor law issues, particularly as they relate to the sports industry;
- Facilitate annual USSF application, which requires the collection and analysis of a variety of information from each professional club to determine compliance with the USSF’s Professional League Standards;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Law degree and bar admission required
- 5+ years of corporate/transactional law firm or in-house experience
- Sports law, franchise law and labor law experience highly preferred
- Franchise and sports industry experience highly preferred but not required
- Excellent written and oral business communication skills
- Strong contract drafting, negotiating and issue-spotting skills
- Ability to make timely, nuanced recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic objectives of the organization
- Ability to work on multiple projects and engage with multiple stakeholders in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics and integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners
- Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if / when necessary
- Must have U.S. work authorization
We have great Perks - Comprehensive Benefits Package • Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance • Health HSA and FSA • 401k w/ up to 6% match • Corporate Discounts • Paid Vacation, Holiday & Sick Days • Business Casual Dress • Casual Dress Fridays • And More!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.