About Oakland Soul SC:
More than just a club, more than just a game. Oakland Soul Sports Club seeks to harness the magic of Oakland and the beautiful game of soccer as a force for social good.
Whether on the pitch, in the stands, or within the community, Oakland Soul will represent our one-of-a-kind city with passion, pride, and commitment to all things Oakland.
Player by player. Supporter by supporter. Resident by resident. One day at a time. One game at a time. This is about Oakland first, always.
About USL-W League: The USL W League will serve as the nation’s premier pre-professional league developing the next generation of women’s talent both on and off the field, enhancing the women’s soccer pipeline between college and professional soccer. In alignment with the League Two season, the W League will kick off in May and end with the W League Playoffs and W League Final in late July.
Overview of Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate desires to excel within the high-performance demands of a pre-professional soccer team. The ideal candidate will be someone who can maintain positivity and calm within the team setting to ensure that motivation and buy-in from the players remain high.
Beyond the field, the ideal candidate is someone who can thrive in a community club environment and demonstrate a commitment to continual improvement.
The ideal candidate is a person that works well in a team-oriented environment and can inspire, delegate and motivate others without bullying or enacting unnecessary stress. In addition, the ideal candidate is professional, respectful, resourceful, organized, a leader, a good communicator, and has a strong work ethic, leading by example.
The Head Coach of Oakland Soul SC reports to the Technical Director (TD) and works cooperatively with the rest of the Oakland Soul Technical staff.
Seasonal Part-time: February to July 2023
Salary Range: $3,333 - $5,000 monthly
General Schedule: Oakland Soul training and meetings will be 2-3 days per week in the evenings from 5-8pm.
The Head Coach of Oakland Soul is responsible for the following:
- Working with TD to implement the vision for our club’s “way of playing” for Oakland Soul.
- Oversee all aspects of managing the pool and roster of Oakland Soul both during the competitive league season (May-July).
- Managing player recruitment for the Oakland Soul, especially local U20 players with high-level potential, utilizing support from the TD as needed.
- Orchestrating team training to execute the coaching plan for that day.
- Game day coaching for Oakland Soul in completing the game plan for each opponent and match.
- Participate in bi-monthly meetings with the TD to review team performance and provide feedback to the TD on the team and players in general
- Work collaboratively with the TD in the planning and preparation of an annual periodization calendar complete with the technical, tactical, and physical performance plans as well as general team building
- Participate and assist, as needed, in weekly technical staff meetings to overview the upcoming week and the logistical needs of the staff
- Drive daily coaches meetings to plan and evaluate team training
- Complete weekly team and player evaluation and performance analysis
- Attend club and community events and appearances as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
Competencies and Skills Required:
- Minimum of a National B Coaching license or its international equivalent, with National B, preferred
- Experience in directly managing, mentoring, and motivating professional soccer players or elite-level soccer players at other levels of play (youth, college, amateur/semipro)
- An ability to think and plan strategically and effectively link technical planning with broader Club goals and strategic intent
- Strong communication skills
- A team player with the ability to operate as part of an integrated multi-functional management team
- Strong use of technology and various software applications, including G-Suite (docs, sheets, slides) and other soccer software applications (MyVideoAnalyzer, Wyscout)
- Spanish speaking preferred, Multilingual desired
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must undergo a Criminal Record Check
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience in professional soccer or an elite level of non-professional soccer (youth, college, amateur/semipro) in a senior staff role or head coach role
- An in-depth understanding of the US Soccer landscape as about the youth, collegiate, and professional soccer ranks
- Extensive personal and professional networks across the multiple tiers of US Soccer (youth, college, amateur/semipro, pro)
- An in-depth understanding of trends in modern professional soccer as they relate to any performance aspect of our club and team
- An in-depth understanding of player development and the playing demands of soccer at the professional level
- An in-depth understanding of the day-to-day realities of professional soccer at the lower league level
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.