Director, Media Relations - New York City FC (New York · NY)
New York City FC jobs
Sports Jobs in New York · NY
Communications/Community Relations: Media/Public Relations Servicing
JOB TITLE: Director, Media Relations
LOCATION: New York, NY
LOCATION: New York, NY
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Communications
NYCFC’s Director of Media Relations manages the high-level strategy and execution of NYCFC’s Media Relations department. It is vital that this individual serves as a natural extension to NYCFC’s Sporting Department and First Team. Importantly, this Director will need to own and develop relationships with key local, national and international media and will be responsible for driving positive earned media coverage for the Club, team and City Football Group. Importantly, this role also manages broadcasting and influencer marketing across NYCFC. The Director of Media Relations should have strong leadership skills and a proven track record of managing Crisis Communications situations – especially when it comes to sports, individual athletes and/or teams. In additional, this Director will set topline strategy and oversee the following areas: matchday experience for journalists, Hispanic Media Relations, Academy Communications and eSports. This role will be a senior figure at NYCFC and will work closely with NYCFC’s Sporting Director, Head Coach, C-Suite executives and leadership team to uphold and promote the Club’s reputation. Working together with the wider team, this Director will be a strong pillar within the NYCFC five-person Communications Department – and NYCFC’s Senior Manager of Media Relations will report directly into this position.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- First Team
- Head up the Media Relations Department – and manages the Senior Manager of Media Relations
- Create and manage structure for replying to all media inquiries and interview requests for Sporting Director David Lee, Head Coach Ronny Deila and players
- Point-person for Sporting Department executives; must build strong, trusting relationships with the squad
- Develop and oversee all high-level Sporting announcement plans
- Own and nurture strong relationships with top-tier sports editors, journalists, soccer beat reporters and broadcast rights holders
- Steer and influence media reporting by briefing journalists on and off-record about signings, injuries and controversies while also highlighting positive initiatives
- Proactively develop and pitch creative storylines to raise the media profile of NYCFC
- Produce written briefing documents for Sporting Department executives and players
- Develop NYCFC’s TV and radio broadcasting strategies and manage relationship with Club media partners (YES Network)
- Manage senior relationships with MLS national and international rightsholders
- Influencer Marketing
- Set strategy and manage NYCFC’s influencer marketing program for gamedays, Club events and beyond
- Cultivate new relationships with key influencers and celebrities to serve as Club ambassadors
- At home games, coordinate and host influencers/celebrities in NYCFC’s most premium Pitchside seats; promote influencers/celebrities in-game and amplify on social when appropriate
- Matches – Home and Away
- At home games, support the Senior Manager of Media Relations and matchday staff to ensure a successful press box and premium matchday experience for media at Yankee Stadium
- Manage staffing assignments for all matches
- Manage media and gameday requests around all match days
- Travel schedule to be agreed upon with the Department
- Opportunity to travel to away matches and to pre-season and international friendlies
- Hispanic Media Relations
- Ensure NYCFC’s Spanish-speaking Senior Manager of Media Relations is fully supported on high-level strategy
- Academy Communications and eSports
- Oversee topline Communications Plans for NYCFC’s Academy and help grow eSports Communications
- Facilitate strategic interviews to promote the Club
- Oversee the maintenance of a comprehensive media contacts database and annual media guide
- Final signoff on all Sporting press releases and media advisories
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- 7+ years of experience in media relations, preferably with a professional sports team
- Proven track record of working with high-profile professional athletes and executives
- Interest and passion for soccer and the growth of the sport in the U.S.
- Experience with Crisis Communications and ability to work in high-pressure situations
- Strong rolodex of current and relevant media contacts – from high-profile local, national and international outlets – and strong relationship building skills
- Understanding of NYC’s media landscape and a proven track record of proactively securing earned media
- Media monitoring skills and an understanding of how to use data to measure ROI
- Strong writing and editing skills and background; attention to detail
- Spanish language preferred, but not required
- Understanding of social media trends
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, sports environment which includes out-of-office events and weekends, as necessary
- Applicant must be able to comply with MLS Next Safety and Well-Being policy and any other applicable child safety policies provided to applicants by NYCFC
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as necessary
- New York City Football Club requires a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to exception under applicable law
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Excellent health, dental & vision insurance, with options to fit you and your family’s needs
- Comprehensive and competitive benefit programs, including maternal & paternal leave
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, gym membership, and Citi Bike discounts
- Your health is important! Our wellness strategy focuses on mental and physical wellbeing through in-office and virtual programs
- Two complementary tickets to every NYCFC home match
- Team outings, happy hours, and annual staff gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- A dynamic, ambitious, and fun work environment
NEW YORK CITY FOOTBALL CLUB OVERVIEW:
At New York City FC, we are in a mission to build this City into one of the soccer capitals of the world. The Club was announced as Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise and is the first and only MLS team located within the five boroughs of New York City.
The Club consistently finishes at the top of the Eastern Conference and qualified for the 2020 Concacaf Champions League. The games are broadcast locally through YES Network with national television coverage through ESPN, Fox and Univision. New York City FC ranks in the top five of key commercial categories for Major League Soccer franchises: season tickets, attendance, gate receipts, partnerships and retail merchandise sales. The franchise’s social media platforms are already in the top two most-followed in MLS for Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. For more information, please visit: https://www.nycfc.com/
New York City FC is also one of ten clubs comprising City Football Group and counts Manchester City FC, Melbourne City FC, Yokohama F-Marinos, Girona FC, Montevideo City Torque, Sichuan Jiuniu FC, Mumbai City FC, Lommel SK and Espérance Sportive Troyes AC among its sister clubs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Do you have 7+ years of experience in media relations?
Do you have NYC-based media contacts?
Do you speak Spanish?
What are your salary requirements?