Title: Physical Therapist and Rehab Coach
Department: Performance, Medical and Research Innovation
Reports to: Director of Medical Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
About Us: We are the professional women’s soccer team proudly representing the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Launched in 2012, we are a founding team in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL). Our vision is to create an environment in which all members of our organization can thrive. We are driving forward the future of women's sports and building a team internally that shares that vision.
The Washington Spirit leadership is setting a vision and building an infrastructure in which all the players and staff can thrive. The newly formed Performance, Medical and Research Innovation Department will be a key part of that process. The strategic vision of the Department is to ‘Empower, educate and develop women by providing bespoke high performance and medical support, creating a unique and inspiring World Class environment.’
If you are interested in being part of that vision and have a passion for the innovation and growth of women’s sport then apply below.
Position Summary: The PT/Rehab coach will:
- Lead on the management, planning and delivery of Return to Play (RTP) protocols for the Washington Spirit.
- Develop female-specific player movement assessment screening, and lead on the implementation of individual movement corrections.
- Support and develop women as women.
- Work closely with the Technical, Medical and Performance Multi-Disciplinary Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cutting edge and forward thinking!
- Develop, implement, and coordinate the physical therapy support within the Club in collaboration with the Sport Science Manager, Strength and Conditioning Coach, and Head Athletic Trainer.
- Collaborate with the Strength and Conditioning Coach, Head Athletic Trainer, and Sport Science Manager to ensure athletes are given successful injury recovery attention and recovery plans to optimize performance.
- Responsible for delivering World leading integrated, and bespoke, player movement assessment screening, gym-based profiling, and development of movement correction and bespoke development programs.
- Responsible for leading and coordinating sub-acute end stage Return to Play sessions for the first team.
- In collaboration with the Sports Science Manager and Head Athletic Trainer, develop and integrate Return to Play strategies.
- Where required, assist with the programming and delivery of on-field conditioning, warm-ups, speed development and individual development sessions for the First team.
- In collaboration with the Performance and Medical staff create and monitor off-season training programs.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Performance and Research Innovation, and Director of Medical to provide Multi-Disciplinary support, and education, by implementing and monitoring optimal female health, wellbeing, recovery, physical profiling, strength and conditioning, training and match load monitoring, nutrition, psychology, and return to play strategies.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Performance and Research Innovation, and Director of Medical Services, collaborate with the Performance and Medical staff in the review, development and co-ordination of Applied Performance and Medical research projects, contributing to an evolving world leading High Performance support program.
- Mentor PhD students, undergraduate student volunteers, and interns.
- Attend and assist with workshops, in-service meetings, professional development courses/workshops and other development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Licenses or Certifications:
- PT License/Certification to practice physical therapy indicated by current national, state and NWSL licensure as a physical therapist.
- Licensed to practice in the State of DC and VA as a Physical Therapist.
- CSCS, UKSCA or equivalent (desirable).
- Current professional CPR certification.
- Possess personal professional liability insurance.
You should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Health-Related or Exercise/Sports Science field.
- Master’s degree in Physical Therapy, Kinesiology or related field of study preferred.
- Satisfaction of all NWSL Medical Committee qualification standards.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the field of elite sports performance.
- Experience working with female athletes, and an understanding of female physiology.
- Applied soccer experience preferred (exception may be granted for experience in other professional sports).
- Have a passion for innovation and the growth of women’s sport.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiastic and energetic team player, with experience of working as part of a Multi-Disciplinary team.
- Good self-awareness, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and friendly demeanor.
- Knowledge of NWSL and women’s professional soccer preferred.
- Possess exceptional organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize/multi-task.
- Extensive knowledge of physical therapy principles, theory, methods, and evidence-based practices.
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including scheduled games that can/will be weekends, evenings and perhaps Holidays.
- Washington Spirit offers a competitive compensation package, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, life insurance and 401k retirement plan.
All applicants must pass a pre-employment background check and be fully vaccinated against Covid 19.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Washington Spirit is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.