Title: Sports Science Intern
Department: Soccer Operations
Reports to: Head Strength & Conditioning Coach
Notes: Intern must be able to receive academic credit for this internship or support letter from university.
Internship Summary: Orlando City SC interns will have the opportunity to learn about the history, culture and vision of Orlando City SC, understanding the importance of how a professional sports organization works (which could include public relations, gameday operations, business, or the internal working of the Club), to further supplement academic knowledge with practical experience.
Position Summary: Orlando Pride is seeking hardworking, positive, and passionate individuals who wish to supplement their classroom instruction with practical experience facilitating sports performance and nutrition tasks associated with the operation of a professional soccer team. The intern will work closely with the Head S&C and Sports Performance Staff (AT, PT, Dietitian, etc) supporting the NWSL team. This person will learn about the day-to-day sport science and strength and conditioning duties and be an integral part of the nutrition program such as fueling and hydrating our players on training days and match days.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Learn how physical performance service is provided to players.
- Learn about data collection of athletes using various technologies used I elite sports such as but not limited to USG, Body Comp, Vald, and StatSports.
- Learn and assist in data cleaning, visualization, interpretation, and reporting.
- Assist in the delivering of strength and conditioning programs for gym session, activation, and warmup.
- Assist with preparation, serving and cleanup of team meals.
- Assist in monitoring player's performance measures on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Learn and assist with the athlete’s individual daily nutrition plans including the pre, during and post-workout nutrition prescriptions/supplements determined by the team Dietitian.
- Assist with hydration station for pre, during and post training using team coolers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants should be working towards an undergraduate or graduate degree with an emphasis in Human Performance, Exercise Science, Nutrition, Kinesiology or related field.
- Also accepted, applicants working towards a degree in data science, statistics or related field.
- Candidates must be able to receive credit for participating in our internship program or be able to show university support.
- Previous internships/experience in strength and condition or fitness coaching preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish/Portuguese a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of PowerBi, R, or Python
- Maintain highest level of professionalism and confidentiality within a pro-team environment is required.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and have a strong sense of accountability.
- Possess a positive, outgoing, engaging and professional personality.
- Strong understanding and passion for the sport of soccer is preferred.
- Ability to work nontraditional hours in nontraditional settings, including holidays, nights and weekends.
- Internship is unpaid. Student must be receiving school credit.
- Applicant must have valid driver license/reliable method of transportation.
- Schedule is flexible and can be discussed upon time of interview.
- Internship does not include paid housing.
Orlando Pride Overview
The Orlando Pride entered the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) as the league’s tenth team in October 2015, and began league play in 2016, bringing professional women’s soccer to Orlando for the first time. As part of the preeminent Orlando City Soccer Club, the Pride join Orlando City SC of Major League Soccer and Orlando City B of USL League One. In 2017, the Pride, along with Orlando City SC, moved its home matches into Exploria Stadium, a 25,500-seat soccer-specific stadium located in the heart of downtown Orlando.
With a footprint across the central Florida region and a roster comprised of international talent, highlighted by Women’s World Cup champions and Olympic gold medalists, as well as six-time FIFA World Player of the Year Marta, the Orlando Pride boasts global relevance through its assemblage of world-class athletes.
Entering its fifth season of play, Orlando Pride is committed to building the global standard for professional women’s sports teams and is guided by the following principles:
To bring our community together, create lasting memories, and fuel passion for soccer.
Be the envy of our league through performance, relevancy, and enterprise value.
Entertain, unify, and inspire our community through passionate soccer & service.
For more information on the Orlando Pride, visit Orlando-Pride.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.