San Diego-NWSL - team name & brand launch, October-December 2021
Position: Manager, Social Media & Fan Engagement
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Direct Reports: 1
Permanent Office Location: San Diego - North County Area - expected December 2021 or sooner, until then office location is work from home.
NWSL San Diego Leadership Team
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) announced in June 2021 that San Diego will be home to an NWSL expansion team, set to begin play in Spring 2022. Jill Ellis, the only two-time FIFA Women's World Cup winning manager and a former FIFA World Women's Coach of the Year recipient, serves as President of the San Diego NWSL team while England standout and former Manchester United Women’s Manager Casey Stoney will serve as the team’s head coach. Chief Revenue Officer, Vanessa Shay, will run revenue streams, marketing and business operations. The San Diego NWSL is owned by investor Ron Burkle. Burkle has tapped longtime friend and business associate Matt Alvarez to lead the project on his behalf.
San Diego NWSL is a professional soccer club. Our ambition is to establish an organization that stands as THE leader in women’s professional sports. Our goal on the field, to consistently compete for championships, will be matched by our desire to unite and serve our community. We will create a world class home for our supporters and build a team that they will be proud to call their own.
The National Women’s Soccer League is a 12-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league featuring national team players from around the world. The clubs are the Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, OL Reign, NY/NJ Gotham FC, Kansas City, Washington Spirit, and Racing Louisville FC. Expansion teams LA Angel City and San Diego (TBA) will being play in 2022. Based in Chicago, the NWSL partners with the Canadian Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation.
Women’s Soccer in the US
Women’s sports, specifically soccer, have seen significant growth, demonstrated by a variety of metrics -- including fan interest, media coverage, the overall expansion of teams and the increased investment of ownership groups from other professional leagues. Deloitte writes, “Women’s sports events have demonstrated their mass-market appeal, and thus monetary potential, on multiple occasions. In short, women’s sports is ripe for greater monetization.
Manager, Social Media & Fan Engagement
NWSL San Diego Manager of Social Media and Fan Engagement to the Chief Revenue Officer and be responsible for creating and executing the Club’s social media strategy and platform presence across priority networks. This person will also be pivotal in developing a community of fans and engaging them through our diverse digital presence.
- Create, plan & execute the social media strategy for the organization across all brand accounts
- Prioritize and grow social media handles in order to meet overall marketing goals
- Build relationships with supporter groups to create the foundation of our fan culture and map long-term growth strategies.
- Demonstrate YoY growth of club social handle followers and engagement measures
- Create the optimal balance of community building vs. commercialization of our social presence
- Build a deep understanding of our social media audience (demo, data, etc.) to map out and execute growth strategies
- Collaborate with overall business unit to amplify club marketing moments including but not limited to Brand & Player Announcements, Product Unveilings, Annual Player Draft Day, Corporate Partnership announcements/events, Clinic and Seminar advertising.
- Work closely with Brand, Content and Communication teams to collaborate on the execution and amplification of the annual marketing campaign
- Attend club events, player training, press conferences and home games to capture and/or obtain social media content i.e. photography, video footage, etc.
- Achieve department business goals
A Candidate should possess:
- Experienced social media marketer
- All-hands-on-deck attitude. As a expansion team/start-up environment we will be asking everyone to support all facets of the business to ensure success
- Passion for the success of Women’s Professional Sports and appetite for an exciting new sports landscape
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including schedule home games and high visablity away games that can/will be weekends, evenings and perhaps holidays.
- Experience managing production timelines, collaborating with communications, social media verticals, merchandise as well as external vendors
- Strong communication and written skills, verbal and interpersonal
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Project Management and similar software applications
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.