Position: Head Athletic Trainer
Reports to: Director of High Performance
NWSL San Diego Leadership Team
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) announced in June 2021 that San Diego will be home to an NWSL expansion team, set to begin play in Spring 2022. Jill Ellis, the only two-time FIFA Women's World Cup winning manager and a former FIFA World Women's Coach of the Year recipient, serves as President of the San Diego NWSL team while England standout and former Manchester United Women’s Manager Casey Stoney will serve as the team’s head coach. Chief Revenue Officer, Vanessa Shay, will run revenue stream, marketing and business operations. The San Diego NWSL is owned by investor Ron Burkle. Burkle has tapped longtime friend and business associate Matt Alvarez to lead the project on his behalf.
San Diego NWSL is a professional soccer club. Our ambition is to establish an organization that stands as THE leader in women’s professional sports. Our goal on the field, to consistently compete for championships, will be matched by our desire to unite and serve our community. We will create a world class home for our supporters and build a team that they will be proud to call their own.
The National Women’s Soccer League is a 12-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league featuring national team players from around the world. The clubs are the Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, OL Reign, NY/NJ Gotham FC, Kansas City, Washington Spirit, and Racing Louisville FC. Based in Chicago, the NWSL partners with the Canadian Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation.
Women’s Soccer in the US
Women’s sports, specifically soccer, have seen significant growth, demonstrated by a variety of metrics -- including fan interest, media coverage, the overall expansion of teams and the increased investment of ownership groups from other professional leagues. Deloitte writes, “Women’s sports events have demonstrated their mass-market appeal, and thus monetary potential, on multiple occasions. In short, women’s sports is ripe for greater monetization.”
The Head Athletic Trainer will manage the day-to-day sports medicine operations for NWSL San Diego. In this capacity, the Head Athletic Trainer will provide injury prevention strategies, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation for Players' medical problems.
The Head Athletic Trainer will report directly to the Director of High Performance and will work closely with the Head Coach and General Manager daily. In addition to attending every training session and match, the role requires active and daily collaboration with all members of the technical staff to maintain a safe and open high-performance environment.
Licenses or Certifications
- NATABOC (or CATA) Certified Athletic Trainer/Therapist
- In good standing with NATABOC
- State or Province License in the state/province in which the Club calls home, if required by the state/province
- CPR certification for Health Care Provider
- Maintain professional liability insurance
- Prefer certification: CSCS, PES, LMT, and/orNREMT
Candidate should possess:
- Minimum five (5) years certified athletic trainer/therapist
- Minimum four (4) year college/university bachelor's degree
- Master's degree or higher in related healthcare field or license
- Experience with elite level athletes
- Experience working in a high tempo, high stress environment
- Soccer experience preferred
- All-hands-on-deck attitude. As a expansion team/start-up environment we will be asking everyone to support all facets of the business to ensure success
- Passion for the success of Women’s Professional Sports and appetite for an exciting new sports landscape
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including schedule home game that can/will be weekends, evenings and perhaps holidays.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manages the healthcare of Players including, but not limited to: first aid/emergency care, on-site injury evaluation, application of appropriate modalities, development of rehabilitation and prevention programs, as well as conducting rehabilitation and making medical referrals
- Comply with OSHA standards regarding blood borne pathogens
- Order, maintain, and inventory supplies and clinical equipment
- Keep athletic training room and clinic area safe, clean, and organized
- Maintain a complete and up to date roster of Player health and participation records in the League-provided electronic medical record (EMR) system
- Electronically document accurate first report of injury, physician diagnosis, player assessments, player treatments, and return to play dates
- Initiate insurance/worker's compensation claims for Players
- Compile reports as required by the League
- Manage the club Medical Staff regarding Player health and safety
- Under the direction of the club physicians, assist with the organization and maintenance of pharmaceutical inventory and records
- Organize physical examinations as required by League regulations
- Supervise Assistant Athletic Trainer, Medical Interns, and volunteers
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with Players, coaches, other Club personnel and League staff
- Comply with all League medical policies and protocols
- Consult with Players regarding dietary needs, nutritional supplements, and League/FIFA banned substances
- Attend all activities/meetings/programs as required by the League
- Perform other duties as assigned or required by the League
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.