Position: Assistant Coach
Reports to: Head Coach and General Manager
NWSL San Diego Leadership Team
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) announced in June 2021 that San Diego will be home to an NWSL expansion team, set to begin play in Spring 2022. Jill Ellis, the only two-time FIFA Women's World Cup winning manager and a former FIFA World Women's Coach of the Year recipient, serves as President of the San Diego NWSL team while England standout and former Manchester United Women’s Manager Casey Stoney will serve as the team’s head coach. Chief Revenue Officer, Vanessa Shay, will run revenue stream, marketing and business operations. The San Diego NWSL is owned by investor Ron Burkle. Burkle has tapped longtime friend and business associate Matt Alvarez to lead the project on his behalf.
San Diego NWSL is a professional soccer club. Our ambition is to establish an organization that stands as THE leader in women’s professional sports. Our goal on the field, to consistently compete for championships, will be matched by our desire to unite and serve our community. We will create a world class home for our supporters and build a team that they will be proud to call their own.
The National Women’s Soccer League is a 12-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league featuring national team players from around the world. The clubs are the Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, OL Reign, NY/NJ Gotham FC, Kansas City, Washington Spirit, and Racing Louisville FC. Based in Chicago, the NWSL partners with the Canadian Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation.
Women’s Soccer in the US
Women’s sports, specifically soccer, have seen significant growth, demonstrated by a variety of metrics -- including fan interest, media coverage, the overall expansion of teams and the increased investment of ownership groups from other professional leagues. Deloitte writes, “Women’s sports events have demonstrated their mass-market appeal, and thus monetary potential, on multiple occasions. In short, women’s sports is ripe for greater monetization.”
The Assistant Coach helps oversee all on-the-field matters involving NWSL San Diego, including but not limited to training, scouting, player development and gameday preparations. The Assistant Coach works closely and collaborates with members of the technical staff, training and support staffs to prepare on a daily basis. The position reports directly to the Head Coach and General Manager.
- Lead and be involved in all aspects of daily and weekly first team activities and events as assigned by Head Coach
- Create and manage dynamic working relationships with all members of club staff
- Create and foster individual and professional relationships with players, aimed to maximize their contributions to the team as players and development as people.
- Conduct, assist and supervise individual practices and training camps for the team as assigned by Head Coach
- Design training sessions for the club, team and individual players as assigned by Head Coach
- Oversee scouting of opponents by watching games, creating scouting reports and presenting data and details.
- Maintain excellent current knowledge of all opponents’ individual and team strategies to allow informed input into team’s game plans
- Apply scouting methodology to college and international players, acquisition opportunities, roster management and development
- Coach and assist Head Coach with team in all exhibition, regular season, playoff, tournament, international and other games when requested
- Assume first team gameday coaching duties as needed, with ability to step into head coach role as required (due to non-attendance, suspension or otherwise)
Candidate Should Possess:
- Professional qualifications of USSF A or UEFA A license preferred.
- Outstanding knowledge of the sport and detailed understanding of current and developing tactics, coaching methods, analytics and training methods
- Proven experience working in elite sport
- Experience coaching at professional or collegiate level preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.