WE’D LOVE FOR YOU TO JOIN US!
San Diego Wave Fútbol Club is on a mission to build a world class home for players and fans that will be loved locally and respected globally. We are seeking a Head of Sport Performance to join our mission. We’re making memories and engaging our community through this beautiful game!
The individual in this role will work with the medical team and technical staff to develop year-round programming aimed at improving athletic performance outcomes across all areas of training. This includes providing individualized, high-level physical performance services to elite soccer players. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, this position provides an integrated athletic performance plan, delivers squad trainings & games to support the work of the players and technical staff. This is a full-time role in San Diego, California. Depending upon candidate qualifications, the annual base salary range is $90,000 - $105,000.
At Wave FC, we encourage open communication and foster supportive relationships. We collaborate to excel so this position works closely with internal teams, players and external contractors, our community, and partners. Dive in, check out the details below. If it sounds like you and something you’re interested in, we’d love for you to apply.
- Deliver physical performance services to players at the club which encompasses all aspects of preparation, recovery, travel, and load management for elite level, women's soccer.
- Lead and/or provide oversight in all areas of performance with the ability to delegate in areas such as: Team/Individual conditioning, strength programming, physical emphasis for daily training, recovery in collaboration with Medical, and nutrition in collaboration with the Dietician.
- Lead and collaborate with the Head of Physical Therapy for return-to-play in the performance phase.
- Create and deliver weekly and monthly individualized periodization of on-field and gym training programs in conjunction with the head coach of the team.
- Develop close working relationships with the technical staff, medical team, and support staff to ensure a cohesive multi-disciplinary approach.
- Develop close working relationships with peers on other teams to share knowledge of and management of national and international players.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on performance data for individual players and the team; use data to build effective conditioning, training, and injury prevention programs.
- Collaborate and educate players, coaches, and technical staff on best practices and the latest science-backed learnings to improve performance.
- Manage the daily download of GPS technology.
- Manage and apply other sports technology such as ForceDecks, Nordbord, ForceFrame.
- Manage and maintain sports science, training equipment, and technology (i.e budget tracking and subscription payments.
- Key daily duties encompass player wellness monitoring, delivery of on-field warm-up, conditioning and cool downs, development and delivery of gym-based strength sessions, monitoring and subsequent intervention of player hydration and recovery, supervision of player rehab and recovery strategies, ongoing communication and feedback to the technical staff.
- Conduct all strength/power, mobility/stability sessions with the team as well as creating individualized corrective exercise, and injury prevention strategies.
- Conduct pre-season movement and physical assessments to evaluate readiness state of each individual prior to beginning of training.
- Conduct re-assessments to continually track individual progress.
- Create and monitor off-season workout programs with all returning players.
- Adapt quickly as Club needs evolve.
- BS/BA in Sport Science/Exercise Science or related field, required.
- Masters in Sport Science/Exercise Science or related field, preferred.
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) Accreditation (or equivalent).
- Practical performance experience within elite sport.
- Experience handling and analyzing performance data.
- Knowledge and experience of performance requirements for female athletes.
- Significant experience working with GPS and other monitoring systems.
- All-hands-on-deck attitude. As a expansion team/start-up environment, we ask all employees to support all facets of the business to ensure success.
- Positive, professional, and proactive with a passion for the success of Women's professional soccer.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including scheduled home game that are often on weekends, evenings, and occasionally holidays.
- Experience working in collaboration with coaches and other support staff as part of an MDT.
- Effective academic and applied knowledge of contemporary practice in physical performance development.
- Proficient on computer with software such as: Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- Strong verbal, written, in-person and presentation communication skills
- Excellent organizational, data collection, planning, and leadership skills.
- First Aid and CPR certification, preferred.
- Understanding of Power Bi and Tableau, preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.