We’re making history in Kansas City. The Current are building the first stadium purpose-built for a National Women’s Soccer League team in the country. The stadium is expected to be complete in the spring of 2024. With a capacity of 11,500, it’s also the first stadium built for a single professional sports team in the history of downtown KC. Located next to Berkley Riverfront Park it will be easily accessible for all modes of transportation and the stadium will become a hub for the growth of the downtown KC and a more impactful future, including being a host city for the World Cup in 2026!
The Current training complex and staff facilities are also first of its kind in the world. Opened on June 21, 2022, it’s the first training complex built specifically for a women's professional sports team.
Founded in December 2020, the Kansas City Current is led by the ownership group of Angie Long, Chris Long, Brittany Mahomes, and Patrick Mahomes. Their vision for what’s never been done before is setting the standard for not just the NWSL but the world of sports. We are seeking individuals who want to march on this mission with us as the world’s eyes are watching. We are making history in Kansas City and desire like-minded, high energy, driven individuals to join us on our journey.
Kansas City is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It’s a city famous for its art, history, BBQ and has more fountains than Rome. Here in the Soccer Capital of America, we are honored to be a host city for the World Cup in 2026 where both our Training Center and stadium are expected to be utilized by the best men’s teams in the world.
The Kansas City Current is seeking a dedicated and experienced individual to join our team as the Director of Accounting. In this vital role, you will be responsible for overseeing various aspects of our accounting operations to ensure accuracy, compliance, and efficiency.
Includes but not limited to:
- Deliver timely and accurate financial information. Oversee the preparation of monthly financial statements across various levels, from individual to consolidated views.
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations, ensuring compliance with standards and regulations, and identifying areas for process improvement.
- Analyze and report monthly financials in comparison to the budget to leadership, highlighting key trends and variances.
- Address complex accounting issues through research and effective communication, offering recommendations to leadership.
- Maintain a robust internal control environment, evaluating processes and implementing improvements in alignment with new accounting systems and business operations.
- Foster productive relationships with external auditors, overseeing the audit processes.
- Ensure completion of sales, use and other tax returns in compliance with regulations. Coordinate with external firms for income tax filings.
- Undertake special projects as directed by leadership.
- Develop team members' skills and careers through mentorship, professional growth, and advancement opportunities.
- Strong knowledge of current US GAAP accounting standards.
- Demonstrated ability to research and document accounting issues and relevant standards.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, facilitating clear interactions across all levels.
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and complexity in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Solid analytical skills for interpreting financial data and trends.
- Organizational and time managements skills including the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Operating knowledge of Microsoft Excel (familiarity and usage of pivot tables, vlookup, and sumif required.)
- Management and supervisory skills, proven ability to guide teams efficiently.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Business Central and/or Contina Expense.
- Experience with sales and use taxes.
Minimum Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting.
- CPA designation required, active license preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience.
- All new hires must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by date of hire, subject to legally mandated accommodations.
- Supervisory experience.
- A blend of public accounting (audit) and private industry experience.
- Intercompany transactions ad accounting with consolidation reporting
- Experience with multiple entities and different business models.
- Advanced proficiency in accounting software.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.