The Chicago Red Stars are seeking a Chief Revenue Officer who will identify and grow our revenue, and lead our existing sponsor and sales teams. The CRO will report directly to the Team President and is responsible for the club revenue, oversight and direction of the sponsorship and sales teams, and the collaboration across all business lines of the organization. This individual will be part of the executive leadership team, helping provide overall direction for the company and interacting with the Board and ownership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and qualify the Chicago Red Stars value proposition to sponsors and ensure consistency in messaging across all sponsor interaction.
- Identify, pursue, and close new business from qualified prospects for sponsorship.
- Establish and implement sales and new business development strategies, including the use of social media and other platforms, to develop leads and close sales with partners, ranging from the local level up to Fortune 500 companies.
- Define the value proposition and market to “C-Level” executives.
- Creatively conceptualize and pitch customized and unique activation programs to prospective partners to show value-added elements of sponsorship deals with the Chicago Red Stars, including connecting the Red Stars purpose to its partner relationships.
- This role will be measured and rewarded based on the person’s ability to attract new sponsors and sales to the Chicago Red Stars.
- Lead and/or provide direction for contract negotiations.
- Lead the sales team in helping define success in ticketing and guest services.
- Serve as a leader of the sales and new business development department to provide strategic vision for the Chicago Red Stars sales operation, ensuring revenue growth is aligned with company objectives and values.
- Lead the recruiting, hiring, training, and day-to-day management of the new stadium sales team consisting of sales professionals.
- Design the calendar, content, and strategy for recurring sales events - including ideas like friends and family, top businesses, local youth clubs, local tastemakers, and influencer events.
- Develop the sales journey, purchase process, CRM tracking, and sales-to-service hand-off strategy for club, membership, and supporters section seating.
- Lead the planning and implementation of all outbound sales efforts, including experience center appointments, product launches, sales events, seller incentives, and buyer incentives, for all membership focused products.
- Provide consistent reporting information by maintaining accurate daily, weekly, and overall updates of sales, outbound metrics, and event recaps.
- Technology know-how. Establish the right mix of toolsets and apps to ensure success within the sales and sponsorship departments.
Qualifications, Skills, and Education
- Minimum 10 years of successful sales experience with a proven track record of managing high performing sales teams and driving incremental revenue growth.
- A high-energy leader with an affinity for, and love of, “selling”.
- An existing network of relationships with business leaders in the Chicagoland area.
- A successful history of developing, implementing, and leading sales and marketing programs.
- Outcome-oriented and motivated by performance-based rewards.
- Experience in the development and persuasive delivery of presentations to “C-Level” executives.
- Sports experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a relevant field of study.
- Master’s degree level preferred.
- Strategic thinker with attention to detail.
- Able to work all home games and schedule of team events throughout the year.
- Comfortable with a lean environment and the use of technology to make work more efficient. Ideally, familiar with the SeatGeek ticketing system and ActiveCampaign.
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Passion for Soccer and/or understanding of the sport
- Passion for Chicago and social impact
- Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best business practices in mind
- Given the nature of sports organizations, the willingness to work around the clock
- An exceptional work ethic and attention to detail
- An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching, and the development of people
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses, and motivational triggers
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning
- Action-Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.