Sports Performance Fellow - Sporting Kansas City (Kansas City · KS)
This is not a full-time position within the organization; however, the fellowship will provide consistent hours that will be discussed with the candidate. As a fellow at Sporting Kansas City, you will be compensated with a monthly stipend of $1,000. Outside financial opportunities are welcomed and encouraged. There will be additional benefits including the provision of team training gear (including footwear), and meals provided for both breakfast and lunch at Sporting Kansas City II training sessions. The hiring will be completed as soon as possible with the role continuing through December 31st, 2021. At the conclusion of the season, an evaluation will be completed to determine if both the individual and the club would like to continue with the role through June 2022.
Description of Position
The position is based in Kansas City, Missouri at Swope Soccer Village. The primary role includes being the assistant Sports Performance Coach with Sporting KC’s second team (USL Championship), and Under 15-Under 19 Development Academy Teams (MLS is Next). Secondary role includes being the lead performance coach for the U12-U14 Development Academy teams. Additionally, there will be opportunities to attend and assist at SKC Senior team trainings and games, dependent on the schedule and initiative from the individual.
The Sports Performance Fellow reports directly to the Sporting Kansas City Director of Sports Performance. Including being a member of the Sporting Kansas City Sports Performance team, this fellowship provides the opportunity to gain a wholistic understanding of elite sport and to work collaboratively with the following roles at the MLS, USL, and Academy Levels: athletic trainers, dietician, coaching staff, team physical therapist, team psychologist, team massage therapist, team doctors and any outsourced professionals that work with the organization.
- Understand the daily workings and the environment in elite sport, while gaining valuable hands-on experience, working athletes in the team setting.
- Learning how to be a valuable member of a multi-disciplinary team in a High-Performance Environment.
- Understanding the role of Sport Science to help inform decisions in professional soccer. Additionally, learning how to both theoretically and practically utilize and integrate the use of various technologies in the context of professional soccer.
- Gain an understanding of the wholistic approach to physical preparation in team sport adopted by the Sporting Kansas City performance department. Including energy system development, recovery, return to play progressions, athletic assessments, nutrition, movement skill acquisition, and resistance training.
- Learn a foundation of different training methodologies in soccer, and how to adopt these ideas to assist in the planning and organization of the training process.
- Developing valuable interpersonal communication skills, through dealing with athletes and sport coaches in the real world.
The individual must possess the aptitude and desire to learn and grow. This opportunity is for a young strength and conditioning coach who aspires to develop their skillset as it pertains to physical preparation, specifically in team sport.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science or a related area from an institution of higher education
- Shows intention of working towards one of the following: NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) or NASM Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES)
- Experience must demonstrate the intention and desire to work as a Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Must demonstrate a conceptual understanding of Long-Term Athletic Development (LTAD)
- Must possess a valid passport/driver’s license
- Must be able to work in the United States without assistance from the organization
- 2 Years of work experience as a Strength and Conditioning Coach or Sports Performance Coach
- Possesses one of the following: NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) or NASM Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES)
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
Regular attendance and hours in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Sporting Kansas City from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Due to the cyclical nature of the sports industry, the fellow may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the team needs including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Assisting in maintaining supplement inventory as well as understanding the use and deliverance of different products.
- Assist with the on field and in gym coaching/preparation of Sporting Kansas City II, and Sporting Kansas City Academy players. Including daily pre-training activation, warm-ups, resistance training, conditioning, etc.
- Assist with the processes associated with the use of technology, including GPS distribution, live analysis of GPS data during training, and post training download/analysis.
- Assist in the collection of various data inputs including sRPE, wellness, and body weight from the players.
- Assist in necessary tasks for the preparation of trainings, matches, and team lifts.
- Assisting to maintain organization and cleanliness of the weight room.
- Lead weekly warm-ups for the U12-U14 Academy teams, that are appropriate for the age group with a focus on establishing an understanding of fundamental movement skills.
- Lead one weekly weight room session for the U14 Academy team that is age appropriate.
- Will be asked to lead periodic continuing education sessions for performance staff in services throughout the course of the fellowship.
- Willingness to assist in additional tasks as directed by the Sporting Kansas City Performance Director and staff.
- May be required to travel at different times.
Sporting KC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Are you able to work non-traditional hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to perform the functions of the role?
Are you curretnly authorized to work and be paid in the United States without sponsorhip from an employer or visa?
Do you possess one of the following certifications: NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) or NASM Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES)?