Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
2020 Summer Internship - Stadium & Event Operations with Sporting Kansas City in Kansas City · KS
The Stadium and Event Operations Intern will gain hands-on experience performing a variety of roles within a fast paced, behind-the-scenes environment, with the chance to have a direct impact on professional soccer in Kansas City. Sporting Kansas City’s collaborative environment full of learning opportunities is designed to help all interns evolve their capabilities, challenge their strengths and reach their fullest potential.
- Learn how professional sports venues operate by collaborating with the Operations Team at Children’s Mercy Park with all hosted events, experiencing as many aspects of operations as possible.
- Understand the logistics and execution of special events; including corporate meetings, weddings, holiday parties, special sporting events (i.e.; college football, U.S. Soccer, rugby, soccer clinics, etc.), large and small scale concerts, or any other applicable event.
- Learn and participate in the organizational philosophy of a pristine stadium for all events.
- Understand the logistics and execution of special, non-stadium events (not at Children’s Mercy Park), such as video shoots, Swope Park Rangers games, corporate meetings at Three Points (an off-site event space), events at the training facility, etc.
- Assist stadium management during game day preparations, i.e. assist with coordinating sponsorship activation on Sporting Plaza. Ensuring correct signage is placed around the stadium, ensuring premium spaces are set-up and transitioned at appropriate times, etc.
- Attend department meetings to learn about the processes used to organize an event.
- Assist with game day presentations and operations such as: the National Anthem, Color Guard, Military Family, half-time promotional events, coordinating giveaways, ball kids, , Walk of Champions, Flag Kids, etc.
- Take lead on special projects designated by the event operations manager. (i.e. inventory game day staff equipment, being responsible for sponsor’s activation items stored at the stadium, etc.
- Rotation of office tasks (i.e. creation of plaza maps & diagrams, game profiles for Rangers games, and updating spreadsheets.
- Assist with the accreditation process.
- Represent Sporting Kansas City and its related affiliates in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Strong organizational, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Passionate about professional sports (preferably soccer), and stadium and event operations.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent leadership skills.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree required.
- Completion of freshman year at a four-year, accredited college institution or enrolled in an accredited graduate program, as well as the ability to provide proof of receiving credit for the internship toward the completion of a degree.
- Minimum of a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. based on a 4.0 scale.
- Interest and experience in competitive sports preferred.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Calendar.
- Required to sit, stand and walk.
- Frequent stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Use hands to finger, hand or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Required to talk and hear consistently.
- Specific vision abilities required by the role include the ability to distinguish the nature of objects by using the eye.
- Will be working near moving mechanical parts.
- Ability to work normal office hours, as well as non-traditional hours for events and game days, including evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
(YES/NO) This is an unpaid, educational internship. Are you able to receive college credit for this internship opportunity?
(YES/NO) Are you able to work non-traditional hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary?