Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
2018 Internship - Athletic Trainer
Sporting Kansas City
Kansas City, KS
Sporting KC is seeking to hire a certified athletic trainer for a paid internship position for the 2018 MLS season. This position is intended for professional development and is focused on furthering knowledge and skills in the field of athletic training. The individual will take an active role in all phases of the sports medicine program and will assist the first team sports medicine and performance staffs in the running of their departments and the daily operation of their jobs. This entry level position is available immediately.
The Athletic Training Intern will gain hands-on experience performing a variety of roles within a fast-paced, behind-the-scenes environment, with the chance to have a direct impact on professional soccer in Kansas City. Sporting KC’s collaborative environment full of learning opportunities is designed to help all interns evolve as professionals, challenge their strengths and reach their fullest potential.
Certified athletic trainers interested in the Sporting KC 2018 seasonal athletic training intern position must submit a cover letter, resume, and reference list to Satoshi Iida at email@example.com
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job.
Regular attendance and hours in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Sporting KC from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Due to the cyclical nature of the entertainment industry, the employee may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the team needs including working game nights.
- Performs as a certified athletic trainer in assisting in the management of the health care of the Sporting athletes. Health care includes, but is not limited to: first aid/emergency care, on-site injury evaluation, application of appropriate modalities, assisting in rehabilitation and prevention programs, pre- and post-training treatments, taping athletes
- Works under the direction and supervision of the Sporting KC medical/performance staff; he or she reports directly to the Director of Sports Medicine
- Helps maintain a complete up to date roster of player health and participation records
- Maintain medical supplies inventory
- Assist in documentation and filing medical information
- Assist in packing medical bags for away trips
- Keep the athletic training room clean, organized, and safe
- Assist in coverage of Sporting KC, Swope Park, and Sporting Academy practices/games (as required for SPR and SKCA)
- Comply with all Sporting KC, Swope Park and US Soccer medical policies and protocols
- Comply with OSHA standards with regards to blood borne pathogens
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
- Some travel may be assigned as required
- Represent Sporting Kansas City in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Must be punctual and accountable every day
- Must be trustworthy and have a positive attitude
- Ability to work well within the group environment
- The ability to multitask and complete multiple jobs at once
- The ability to remain calm during stressful or complicated situations
- Willingness to learn from a wide variety of medical professionals
- Demonstrate ability to relate effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and project a professional attitude
- Proactive and able to function independently
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, have attention to detail, show initiative, and possess leadership characteristics
- Ability to communicate with medical, performance, technical, equipment, and administration staff
- Requires weekend and holiday work, 40+ hours/week, and exposure to all kinds of weather
- A work history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluation
- Proficiency in Spanish and coverage of soccer is a plus
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Athletic Training curriculum from a CAATE accredited school
- NATABOC Certified Athletic Trainer
- Kansas/Missouri ATC State Licensure Required
- Current Professional CPR/AED Certification
- Possess personal professional liability insurance
- Valid driver’s license /reliable transportation required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate or intern to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Required to sit, stand and walk
- Use hands to finger, hand or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequent stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Required to talk and hear consistently.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry and/or drag up to  pounds if necessary.
- Specific vision abilities required by the role include the ability to distinguish the nature of objects by using the eye.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
Do you have access to reliable transportation?
Are you able to work non-traditional hours, including nights, weekends and holidays as necessary?